Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have 2 Pioneer VSX 524 K's and both are doing the same

Customer Question
thing. I get no...
I have 2 Pioneer VSX 524 K's and both are doing the same thing. I get no HDMI output at all. I have done a reset, changed cables and confirmed that the input devices are working by going direct. I do not recall any storms that occurred in the same timeframe however both units stopped working within a week of each other.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
5/19/2016
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi Geoffrey and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, if the RESET was not corrective, then it would appear to be an internal hardware issue.

Are you considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am a DIY-er. And have access to both items. Kind of odd that two units would both fail at the same time though, don't you think?

Great on the DIY!

Bear with me as I am currently mobile and would have access to my files / Service Manual a bit later.

Still, please check the serial numbers of both units as these may be from the same production batch.

I would post back with test points soon as able.

Thanks.

Additionally, please post back with clear closeup pictures of the HDMI board. Click HERE.

Appreciate the post back and based on these, it would appear to be manufactured nearly on the same time.

Pictures of the HDMI board please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sent You the pictures requested. Any update?

For some reason, no pictures of the HDMI board were posted / forwarded.

The HDMI board would be topmost towards the rear's right side with the front facing you. This is often referred to as the D-MAIN ASSY.

I meant the actual PCB (circuit board). Something like the picture as may be viewed HERE but clearer larger.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh, you meant from inside. I'll pull it apart tomorrow and get you a pic

Yes please; tomorrow or when able.

Yes, thanks.

Carefully check for the presence and consistency of voltages at:

• • +3.3 @ pin 3 of CP2008;
  • • +5V @ pin 1 & 6 of IC2025;
  • • +3.3V @ pin4 of IC2004;
  • • +3.3V @ pin3 of IC2007;
  • • +5.6V @ pins 1, 2 & 3 of CN101.

A friendly reminder; voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in and turned on. It is therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, unless the "Pins" are labeled with convenient little numbers, I am going to need a little more info. Any way you can map this out a little. Maybe use the photo and label?

I have to get the information / board layout from the Service Manual of the base model, not from the Service Manual of the 524.

Please click HERE.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get a dropbox error when I click on the "HERE" link in your last message.

The server allows very limited time before auto-delete inactive stored files.

Please try again, click HERE.

Use this as reference to identify and locate pin numbering, parts and others.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all voltages as indicated.

I understand.

Please check the indicated voltages of the different pins of connectors CN201 and CN204.

Additionally, determine if any of these ICs would be heating up faster/greater than the others:

• IC2007;
  • IC2012;
  • IC2013;
  • IC2015;
  • IC2016;
  • IC2017;
  • IC2020;
  • IC2021.

Would appreciate an update when able.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Voltage on all IC's. Nothing seems to be heating up.

Sorry, but was hoping to get the voltage readings "...of the different pins of connectors CN201 and CN204..."

Please see p. 3 left side of the linked board layout.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My board is configured like The board on page 2. CN204 and CN201 are on the right side. There voltages are as follows from top to bottom.CN2040
0
0
3.3
0
4.3CN2010
3.2
3.3
0
4.0
3.3
3.2
3.2
3.0
3.1
3.3
3.3
3.3
2.9
3.35
5.6
0

It would appear that the pins measured are incomplete. Please note that CN204 have 11 pins while CN201 have 33 pins. The above readings were for only 6 pins of CN204 and only 17 pins of CN201.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will look again

And would appreciate an update when able.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK CN204 From top to bottom.8
.45
.45
0
0
0
0
0
.64
.64
.68CN201 to come

The CN204 readings appears to be off the expected voltages. Please click HERE for the normal voltages of CN201 and CN204.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the long reply time:CN201 as follows:1 0
2 5.5
3 0
4 0
5 0
6 0
7 0
8 0
9 5.7
10 0
11 0
12 6.0
13 .38
14 6.0
15 .15
16 0
17 .3
18 .3
19 .3
20 0
21 0
22 0
23 0
24 0
25 0
26 0
27 1.0
28 .8
29 0
30 0
31 0
32 0
33 0
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not heard back from you. Any update?

The system has "Timed Out" this question due to the long period of inactivity after my posting of "...The CN204 readings appears to be off...the normal voltages of CN201 and CN204...."

Still as above posted, the readings are off the expected values. Please trace where these voltages are missing. Example; pins 5 & 6 of connector CN204 are expected to have +3.3 and +5V respectively. From the above post / results, both reads 0V.

The last readings for:

• 28 .8
  • 29 0
  • 30 0

where the expected values were:

• 28 +3.3
  • 29 +1.8
  • 30 +5

Similarly check where these pins lead to and search for voltages and where they may be missing.

Louie, Technician