Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have a cd stereo system Model no Sa-Pm18 Serial no

Customer Question
I have a cd stereo...
I have a cd stereo system
Model no Sa-Pm18
Serial no GL3kboo5589
And an older Stereo system
Model no Sa-pm313
And older speakers that are the same but say Sa-pm31
My ?? Is can I add these older speakers with the with my newer stereo with the speakers sa-pm18
So that way I will have 4 speakers.
Will it take away from the sound???
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
3/21/2016
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, possible/yes BUT technically not recommended. The SB-PM18 as well as the SB-PM31 speakers are BOTH rated at 6Ω each.

Wiring them in parallel to each other would result to an equivalent 3Ω and thus would eventually overload the SA-PM18 main unit.

On the other hand, wiring them in series would result to an equivalent 12Ω and result to a reduction in power/sound level.

There is a possible workaround but would need additional parts/electronic items. Would this be of interest?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much for getting back to me glad I waited

A workaround would be to use non-polarized capacitors in series with the SB-PM31. Please click HERE.

Louie, Technician