Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

My name is ***** *****. I am trying to get sound out of the

Customer Question
zone 2 RCA jacks on...
My name is ***** *****. I am trying to get sound out of the zone 2 RCA jacks on my pioneer vsx52 receiver. Sound only comes from the hard wired jacks now and I bought new powered speakers that require the RCA connection. Or an optical cable connection.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The receiver is connected to TV, blue ray etc using Hdmi cables. The old speakers are hard wired to terminals. The new speakers have to slink cables and I also have a converter to convert toslink to rca jacks.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
3/11/2016
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Aric, Engineer

Hello, On your receiver Zone 2 will not output any of your digital input signals- meaning HDMI, optical or digital coaxial- those are only routed to the main surround channels since they're decoded digitally.

Your Zone 2 is analog only- so it only processes the RCA red and white INPUT SIGNALS on the receiver- meaning whatever source you want to listen to through the zone 2, needs to be connected to the Pioneer using RCA red and white.

I realize this is not likely what you expected- but generally all zone 2, or 3 HT receivers process their zones in the same way with the exception of a couple of Denon units which allow you to access the digital inputs through the zone 2 outputs.

I assume you're trying to get the TV and Blu Ray sound through the zone 2?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Exactly. Can I use the optical cable and connect somewhere?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there? Is there any way to connect these speakers to this receiver?

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm here- typing. Let me check, but I believe the opticals are all input on the Pioneer. We may need a workaround- which would either be a speaker to line converter placed to the front main channels, then tap into the RCA's on the converter, or an HDMI audio extractor (which would be more complicated).

Pulling up some info on your receiver now...

You DO have one optical OUT on the receiver- the last one in the row. I'm looking to see if this will work, but I'm thinking Yes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If that optical works that would be amazing!

Sorry I can't take a phone call right now. But yes, are you there with the receiver right now and can you plug those powered speakers into the optical OUT on the receiver? The manual shows that optical out connecting to a DAT recorder- which means it "should" be outputting all digital signals from this jack.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried it and no sound. Darn

What brand and model re those powered speakers- are you sure you don't have to select the input on them?

Nevermind- sorry about that, I just checked and the manual says "You can't output HDMI audio from the optical out jack".

There is a workaround though. Instead of using the HDMI ARC function, you can run an optical cable from the TV back to the receiver (keep the HDMI for video), then the optical out on the receiver will be getting a signal.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are B&O 18's and I do havethem set up correctly because I can get the receiver to play FM radio on them out of zone 2 jacks

Yes, please see my last two replies up the page...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where on the receiver do I plug optical cable from TV into

Optical IN "TV/SAT", then you will need to assign your optical input to the TV (as shown on page 28 of the Pioneer manual):

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-52_OperatingInstructions051911.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
TV is already connected to the receiver using the optical cable input.

Then I have absolutely no idea. I will opt out.

Technician: Rusty, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Rusty
Rusty, Engineer

Hello, my name is Rusty. You cannot use the optical cable to get sound from zone 2. You will need to use an analog connection, meaning red and white RCA jacks are the only thing that will go out of zone 2. So, in addition to the HDMI cables you already have installed, connect the RCA cables from your device to the CD input. You will now be able to listen to zone 2 on the CD input, and it will do what you're trying to do.

If you only have HDMI and optical, we'll need to convert the optical signal to analog, click here. This will do the trick. Plug your optical cable into it, and connect the RCA jacks to the CD input, and you'll be able to listen to zone 2.

Technician: ,  replied 1 year ago
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Doesn't work.

How did you connect it?

Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Engineer