Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Using Denon RC-1077 Can not figure out how to get tv sounds…

Customer Question
Using Denon RC-1077 Can not figure...
Using Denon RC-1077
Can not figure out how to get tv sounds
thru surround sound- worked yesterday.
I can get tuner sound thru surround sound using Denon RC-1077
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
3/1/2016
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Aric, Engineer

Hello, Offhand RC-1077 is the model of a remote. Can you please get me the model number off of the front of the Denon?

It is a Denon remote and receiver AVR-788

Thank you. So the FM tuner still has sound, but you mentioned the TV does not correct?

If so, please try rebooting your Cable box by disconnecting it from wall power for 10 seconds then plugging it back in. Once it reboots check the TV source and see if there is sound. Let me know what happens please.

The tv has sound on tv itself- something
on remote control got switched and can not get tv sound thru receiver
You want picture of remote?
Technician: John Peeler,
 replied 2 years ago
John Peeler

Hi there, I’m Scott, I have owned a home theater installation business for 10 years now. I see you’re asking about a home electronics issue – I think I can help you, as I have over 20 years of experience in this area and have spent much time troubleshooting similar systems.

I looked over the previous emails. What input on the Denon are you using for cable box. What cabling goes from cable box to receiver?

On the font panel under the display there are 3 possible indicators under input, one of those lights should be on....which?

You can go ahead and try pressing the input mode button until auto is displayed under input.

HelloThere is no cable box- I had geek squad set up wall mount and cables into tuner etc.
The tuner input is in TV mode, not tuner, satellite etc.Are you familiar with the remote control I indicated ?
Technician: John Peeler,
 replied 2 years ago

That would be the remote that came with the receiver. I would assume the input that the TV is connected to on the reciever would be the "TV/cbl" input and pressing the corresponding "TV/cbl" button on that remote is how you would bring up the TV sound through the surround system. That should be all there is to it.

So from what I gather, you are only using the TVs internal tuner (no dvd player or cable box) for TV watching. You have a cable line, or antenna line connected into the antenna connector on the TV to use the internal tuner. Then there would be an audio line from the TV to the receiver, usually an optical digital cable. That would be connected to one of the optical digital inputs on the receiver. Can you look that over to confirm.

Those receivers had the input mode button on the front (they have since found that causes more harm than good and made those adjustents only available through the menu system.) Please confirm what I stated before......

You can go ahead and try pressing the input mode button until the light indicating "auto" is lit under input.

I am assuming you have sound from the TV if you turn TV volume up?

Technician: John Peeler,
 replied 2 years ago

Did you have any luck?