Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a r 70 yamaha reciever can't get any sound just went

Customer Question

I have a r 70 yamaha reciever can't get any sound just went out
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

What sources are connected to the receiver (CD player, Tape deck, turntable, etc.)?

Is there no sound regardless of which source you select?

How about if you select the built in FM tuner?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Additionally, check the "Tape Moni 1" and "Tape Moni 2" buttons and make sure none of those are depressed. Let me know the answers to the above and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are not
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I asked a few questions before that last reply...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just have the tape player right now but when it went out i was playing cds
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Select the FM tuner- any sound, yes or no please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sound on fm either
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

This would indicate a hardware failure in the receiver- since the built in FM tuner supersedes all external connections and settings. If the receiver was working, and then simply went out, then you likely have a fault in the output transistors in the receiver (the most common cause of this problem). Please try this, if you unplug the receiver from power, wait a minute, then plug it back in.....turn it on and turn it up, is there any hiss, buzz or static from the speakers at all please?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sound
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Then this does indicate the output stage (the transistors that directly power the speakers) have failed and will need to be replaced on a component level to fix the receiver. The average cost for this type of repair is between $150-$200 parts and labor and a shop can be located at the link below:

http://www.stereorepair.com

I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.