Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I bought a Bose Wave music system with CD changer. I am on…

Customer Question
I bought a Bose Wave...
I bought a Bose Wave music system with CD changer. I am on the 3rd floor - apartment below complains about the bass sound "thudding" constantly when on. I tried the Alarm System suggestion to change bass with no avail. Help - how can I make this "deep and heavy" sound go away. Jo-Ann Slinkard, Fresno, CA
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
2/26/2016
Technician: Rusty, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Rusty
Rusty, Engineer

Hello, my name is Rusty. I'm a sound engineer, let's take a look. The bass from Bose is caused by the way the radio is built. It's a constant cone, which creates the loudness of the small speakers. Bass and treble work differently...

Treble is a line of sight sound, so it doesn't travel through walls very well. Bass, however, uses vibrations that move along the floor. That means it takes the sound from the counter it's resting on, and turns it into a speaker through vibrations.

To minimize those vibrations, you'll need to use a platform on springs, or a foam pad to keep the vibrations from transferring to the table where it is sitting. Just put the foam under the radio. You can test with a thick layer of bubble wrap, just to make sure it minimizes the bass down below. They don't make a stand for that radio, so you'll have to get creative and build something custom to absorb the shock that the bass is producing. Once you separate the vibrations between your radio and the desk, it will not transfer to the floor, and your downstairs neighbors won't be able to hear it as much.