Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Onkyo TX-NR 1008 "Freezes up" after being on minutes or…

Customer Question
Hello...my Onkyo TX-NR 1008 "Freezes...
Hello...my Onkyo TX-NR 1008 "Freezes up" after being on for 30 minutes or so. Volume is fixed and cannot be manipulated along with the inability to switch to another option (Aux, video, etc.) or even power it down...rendering the unit completely useless I am forced to pull the power cord to shut it off. Frustrating.
Unit is well ventilated and not restricted in any way. (Not over heating)
Any suggestions?
Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
2/25/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Robin.

Does this happen regardless of input/source?

Can you bring up the menu at all?

Do sound and audio continue to pass, or is it entirely unresponsive other than appearing to be powered on?

Hello Nathan,
1) The unit freezes regardless of supply (iPod, USB, FM, etc.).
2) No tabs/ knobs work or change the menu/volume when it is frozen...nothing.
3) Sound/ audio continue..."at the last selected volume level/ channel" selected before it freezes...
Best Regards,
Robin

Thank you for confirming, Robin.

This indicates that the processor is locking up, which is fairly common in these onkyos.

Have you ever updated the firmware, and if so when was it last done?

I have not updated the firmware. Who, what, where, and how?

Okay that will be our first step here.

Do not attempt to do this over the network, it would likely fail and cause permanent damage.

Update instructions: http://bit.ly/1Q5EtQa
Update file: http://bit.ly/1Q5EsLZ

Basically you're downloading the above file to your computer, copying to a usb memory stick and transferring to the receiver

Were you able to update, Robin?