How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Louie Your Own Question
Louie, Technician
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Satisfied Customers: 1218
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
Type Your Home Theater-Stereo Question Here...
Louie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an old kenwood reciever i am replacing. The old

Customer Question

i have an old kenwood reciever i am replacing. The old subwoofer has a 3 pin din for a cable new reciever is looking for a single rca type plug, i'm looking for an adapter
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i up loaded pic of the port
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, ave you considered / tried a converter cable similar to the product shown HERE?

Alternatively, if the old 3-pin DIN cable is still available, how about cutting 1 end and soldering in an RCA plug?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do have the cable and was going to cut and splice, is the third wire a ground? alsowould love to see the end on that adapter you showed
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

To my recollection, actually a left & right + ground.

Still, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Kenwood. If I can look over the schematic diagram (if available) then I could confirm or propose an alternate approach.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

I checked the schematics/Service Manual of the Kenwood DVR-5070 and it would appear that the 3-pin DIN carries not only audio but switching trigger and a +V rail.

...not a simple DIN to RCA adapter but a circuit modification is needed.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

It would require "fooling" the subwoofer to turn on. What is the model number of the subwoofer please?