Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an old kenwood reciever i am replacing. The old

Customer Question
i have an old kenwood...
i have an old kenwood reciever i am replacing. The old subwoofer has a 3 pin din for a cable new reciever is looking for a single rca type plug, i'm looking for an adapter
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
2/25/2016
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, ave you considered / tried a converter cable similar to the product shown HERE?

Alternatively, if the old 3-pin DIN cable is still available, how about cutting 1 end and soldering in an RCA plug?

i do have the cable and was going to cut and splice, is the third wire a ground? alsowould love to see the end on that adapter you showed

To my recollection, actually a left & right + ground.

Still, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Kenwood. If I can look over the schematic diagram (if available) then I could confirm or propose an alternate approach.

KENWOOD DRV-5070
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/86395/Kenwood-Dvr-5070.html?page=11#manual

Hi again.

I checked the schematics/Service Manual of the Kenwood DVR-5070 and it would appear that the 3-pin DIN carries not only audio but switching trigger and a +V rail.

...not a simple DIN to RCA adapter but a circuit modification is needed.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

ADAPTER WILL NOT WORK, WHAT KIND OF MODIFICATION?

It would require "fooling" the subwoofer to turn on. What is the model number of the subwoofer please?