Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Pioneer VSX-401 -receiver... plays fine, but when I turn off…

Customer Question
Pioneer VSX-401 -receiver... plays fine...
Pioneer VSX-401 -receiver... plays fine, but when I turn off after about 30 minutes it turns back on...?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
2/22/2016
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Aric, Engineer

Hello, There is not a Timer circuit in the receiver. Offhand these symptoms would indicate that the processor on the Mainboard of the receiver is acting faulty- since this provides the turn on command to the unit. As an attempt at a reset, disconnect the receiver from power for a full 30 minutes, then plug it back in. If this is a simple reset issue then this will cure the issue. However if it does not, then it does indicate a faulty processor in the Mainboard of the receiver, which would require repairs. To fix this would require at least heating up the processor chip to re-flow the solder joints, and in the worst case- replacing the processor chip. The average cost for this type of repair is in the $150 range and may not be cost effective on a unit of this vintage.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

ok thanks, ***** ***** try it

You're welcome. In the worst case, if the reset does not fix it, you could always put the receiver on a switched power strip that you simply turn off when the unit is not in use to prevent it from turning on, on it's own.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.