Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Panasonic 5 CD changer/radio SA PM16 that I love.

Customer Question
Three CD trays are stuck...
I have a Panasonic 5 CD changer/radio SA PM16 that I love. Three CD trays are stuck open and cannot be returned. any repair options?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
2/15/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Carol.

Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place)

There are a few things you can try:

First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.

If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.

If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.

If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

None of these options worked. Not a satisfactory response. Request refund Close question

Hi Carol, I'm sorry to hear that didn't work for you.

I'm also sorry you don't feel that was satisfactory. Unfortunately, this is the limit of what can be done yourself.

At this point the failure of the above steps would confirm a hardware fault, as I explained previously. That is something that would require repairs, which simply is not feasible. This is a 2003 model stereo system that was designed and built for a 5 year service life. At this point it has served its designed life nearly 3 times over and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it. Repairs are not practical as parts are not available and labor alone would cost you more (about $200, on average) than a brand new system would.

For a replacement system, here is a model I'd recommend: http://amzn.to/1QjYyPI

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Nathan, Engineer