Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I HAVE A BOSE 312 ii SURROUND SOUND. I have it connected to…

Customer Question
i HAVE A BOSE 312...
i HAVE A BOSE 312 ii SURROUND SOUND. I have it connected to an LG 65uf6450 TV when It is on live tv it palys thru the surround sound but when I use apps/netflix it only plays thru the TV. How to set it up for surround sound all the time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
1/31/2016
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Aric, Engineer

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

Your LG TV's built in APPS only playback audio through the HDMI ARC (audio return channel) port. This port is an "Output" as well as an Input.

All LG sets are setup this way, and I've connected dozens of them in home theaters.

There's no way to get the Bose to play the APP sound the way it is connected now, you need to use the HDNI ARC port- but the Bose is not compatible with that port.

There is a workaround however. To get this to work, you need an HDMI audio extractor box connected to the TV's HDMI ARC port, and then you will connect the optical cable to the HDMI audio extractor box- and to the Bose.

This makes it so that ALL TV audio AS WELL AS the internal APP platform, will playback through the Bose system.

The part you need to make this happen is at the link below for purchase:

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-toslink-and-lr-audio--180-995

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

There are no settings or adjustments that will allow the TV to produce audio through the optical jack when it's native APP platform is used- the optical only outputs from the external AV signals (cable box, DVD, etc.). If you want the Bose to playback audio from the TV's built in APPS, then the HDMI ARC port and the converter I linked to above must be used. The only other alternative is purchasing a different surround system that does directly support HDMI ARC.