Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How do I get my Denon AVR3100w receiver to handle 4K from a…

Customer Question
How do I get my...
How do I get my Denon AVR3100w receiver to handle 4K from a Directv client box? If I connect the client directly to my 4k TV the directv client recognizes the device as 4k capable. When I connect the client to the Denon I get a 4k not supported message...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/25/2016
Technician: Rusty, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Rusty
Rusty, Engineer

Hello, my name is Rusty. Sometimes these TVs aren't quite up to the technology that the TVs are. Let's check to make sure your automatic resolution setting isn't messing it up. Go into your Denon menu, locate the video settings, go to output settings, and set the resolution to 4K. Please tell me the results.

The answer is that the Denon AVR3100W, while rated for 4K upscaling and 4K passthough, is spec'd for HDCP 2.0, while the DirecTV output in 4K is HDCP 2.2 compliant, so the DirecTV client does not recognize the Denon as 4K capable. Looks like I'll be buying a new AVR...

Ooh, good call. The 4k shouldn't give you the same message, but the HDCP definitely will. You can connect the HDMI to your TV and use the optical output from your DirecTV box to your AVR to get around the HDCP problem.

There may be a firmware available, I'd like to check that before sending you out to buy a new AVR. What is the serial number? Or, you can enter it yourself to save time, click here.

Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Engineer