Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Kenwood RC-85 remote controller and it's hooked up

Customer Question

I have a Kenwood RC-85 remote controller and it's hooked up to about 5 individual older, but faithful components; ..tuner, amp, preamp, cassette and pre-amp. We took the system apart for shipping purposes and now when we re-hooked it up using 2 new 6 ft. cables because of extended lengths,it would not function, but it is transmitting signals..
Where did we go wrong and are the cable used for just interconnect between component (stereo cables)?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try using the old cables, however temporarily. It will allow you to distinguish between

A. defective cables

B. system wrecked or damaged by transport

C. other problem, e.g. excessively long cables or something else.

Are those cables RCA type, or USB, or some other type?

Also look closely at the indicators for every box in the system, to make sure none are abnormal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've reviewed your suggestions an they are not resolving the problem.The equipment came in working perfectly..the new cables (2 out of 5)) are only 6 ft. long (2 ft. longer than the 4 ft.) which will not change the line resistance to any great degree. The distance between the components will vary but when they supply the case the components are one on top of the other, ergo, 4 footers. I would presume if I just disconnect all the cables except the tuner and the remote control (original 4 ft. cable) I should be able to see some functionality ????.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, try that ... try a minimum setup, that actually works (?) then add one component at a time, until you see non-function.

Is it possible that the whole setup spans two different power outlet circuits? I doubt it, if the cable length are only 6 feet at most, but if that were to be the case, it could introduce problems. It's a rare cause, but can happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not successful yet..I haven’t switched the cords because the place is in turmoil as I just moved in..but first thing on the agenda for Monday/Tuesday.At least all components function without remote manually, ..so I do have music..
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That's fine. Get back to me at your convenience. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No resolve yet..changing some wires tomorrow.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,
No luck so far. We tried replacing cables and also re-doing the sequence of AC, RCA and stereo patch cables and Narda...nothing, zip, zero, fartik. However, I can operate the system manually.
I can't figure this out as we used new cables purchased yesterday and can see signal on the remote output.
I will write a detailed letter to Kenwood, as I had a contact there and see what they can suggest.
Sorry that this hasn't worked out..but it has me puzzled as well ?
At this point, since I tried everything that you suggested and also, what I suggested, that we have a satisfactory conclusion, at no fault to you..it's just the gremlins at work.
I presume we won't be charged for the service, but I thank you for your diligence in the pursuit..
Thanks, Larry
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Well... that's courteous of you, to put it that way, thanks.

However, I have Opted Out of this case, opening it to other Experts, in case another Expert here has seen this sort of case before, or has some idea about it that I don't have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russell,
Saw your other response.... ('s)...
but as it stands, I will have to seek additional tech support.
My best, Larry