Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I'm ***** *****. Have Direct TV, HD, and need help hooking

Customer Question

Customer: I'm ***** *****. Have Direct TV, HD, and need help hooking to a Sony sound system.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Cannot get sound through the speakers.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, but I haven't looked at questions already posted....should I do that first?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having.

In order to help you, we need the following:

1) The Model Number off of the back of the TV.

2) The Model Number of the Sony sound system.

3) The Make and Model Number off of the front of the DirecTv box.

4) How is the DirecTv box currently connected to the TV (for example: HDMI cable, 5 colored component cables, etc.).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surely we can short cut these details.....I am hooked via the Sony Surround System to the TV, and from "system" to Direct TV via red and white cables. Do not get sound from speakers. Am on input 2, not 1. Have sound via TV, but when I turn on the system, no sound..Wondering if the problem is in "input" (2 vs. 1)?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. I must beg to differ, since the model number of the components dictates what connections and settings need to be used. These are not all "universal" connection devices. Some TV's do not even use RCA stereo audio outs, some receivers lack optical inputs. I believe I will have to opt out of this one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was hooked professionally previously, but moved and can't make it work. I have removed some other things which should not affect the system ie roku. Have an HDMI switcher which is not hooked up as I have HD via Direct TV now and did not previously.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, took too long. Figured it out myself. No charge, please. Thank you.