Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

Air 1500-tuner stopped working

Customer Question

air 1500-tuner stopped working
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Unfortunately "air 1500-tuner" doesn't come up in any searches. Can you please postback with the full Brand and Model of the device you're having problems with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Demon Avr 1500
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using the cable plug
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Oh okay, a Denon AVR-1500. Now when you refer to the Tuner, do you just mean the FM/AM is not working- or there's no sound from ANY of the Inputs on the Denon (Cble/SAT, etc.)?

Please elaborate on EXACTLY what you are having problems with, as I am not there to see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No am/fm. Every thing else works ok
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. Okay, please try unplugging the receiver from power, then disconnect and reconnect the FM antenna at the back of the unit (please let me know what antenna you're using- for example: Powered Terk antenna, piece of wire, coaxial cable, etc.). Plug the receiver back in and check the tuner. Again if that doesn't work tell me what you are using for an antenna- you mentioned "the cable plug", I don't know specifically what that refers to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coaxial cable. Turning off and reconnecting doesn't fix it
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, did you already post this question under another account at 3 p.m. today?? It appears you were already working with Mike G, then posted it under another account- same problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lost page and had to start over
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, well because you were already working with him- I will need to opt out of this one. The original question is at the link below, you can click on it (Bookmark or Add to Favorites if you lose it):

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/7212e25dbb4f4a0aa1c97ce54b85f0cb# *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Safari couldn't open that link
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'll have to let ***** *****dle it from here, since it's not my question- I'm not involved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope you'll give him the info I gave you
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about the confusion with the site.

Can you explain- are you able to select FM mode with the Denon remote? Do you see that the unit is going into FM mode? and what is displayed on the front of the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a remote. I am switching to tuner on the unit itself.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

what is showing on the display?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tuner
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

what else please?

does it show what frequency it is tuned to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DI 89.7 fm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just static. No signal
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Is that a station where you are? that you have listened to before?

Can you tune to other frequencies? up down etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a local station. It doesn't get a signal to any other stations either am or fm
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure this is a model AVR-1500?

I am trying to find documents for AVR-1500 and cannot. Maybe it's something like:

AVR-1505

AVR-1513

AVR-1519

???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the Avr 1500
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

right now, all suspects point to a bad antenna or wiring to/from the antenna. Do you have another antenna to try?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suspect a disconnect internally from the coaxial input
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

you could try a factory reset (procedure given in AVR-1400 manual):

-power off the unit

-hold STEREO & DOLBY PRO LOGIC buttons on front panel while you press the POWER button one time.

-when the entire display starts flashing, release the two buttons

If that does not help and you suspect an internal problem then are you planning to take apart the unit and attempt to repair it? Because having the unit repaired will cost more than a new similar unit. Check out good product/prices at www.accessories4less.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that. Display came on but didn't flash. No difference in performance
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that. Trying a NEW antenna would be my next suggestion.

Otherwise as I stated before, are you planning to take apart the unit and attempt to repair it? Tuner parts are non existent and having the unit repaired by a shop will cost more than a replacement similar unit.

Check out good product/prices at www.accessories4less.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will open it up and do a visual check. I hope I am not being charged as we have not resolved the issue to repair it.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

I'll be here.

see website help pages for charge related questions.