Neil, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 25 years of experience.
15873252

I just paid over $600 my Kenwood 830 it has fine output and

Customer Question

Customer: I just paid over $600 for refurbishing my Kenwood 830 it has fine output and receive but now I don't get any ALC reading even if I crank the ALC knob fully clockwise???
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have reports of fine/good audio I have meter deflection in the RF swith/meter setting. I get an indication of ALC in the CW carrier mode. Just have nothing showing on the ALC setting on SSB???
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Electronics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Hi

If recently serviced then there may be an internal coax not connected properly this problem is usually caused by an intermittent crimp-connection on the pins at the ends of the coax cable that brings the transmitter intermediate-frequency["TIF" signal from the IF Unit to the RF Unit. The person who carried out the repair should address this... Its a common issue with the 830.