Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

Louie I have a power switch which doesn't turn on. Please

Customer Question
Louie I have a power...
Louie I have a power switch which doesn't turn on. Please advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
1/5/2016
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, there would be both +5V and -5V. What part(s) are inside the heat shrink tubes near the big capacitors please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

2 resistors

That these resistors are encapsulated would point to a possibility of potential heat issues. Please check resistances of these resistors and compare to marks/color codes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Louie did you get a look at q1?

Unfortunately, could not make out the numbers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

How about now?

Appreciate the clear picture Johnny and it is an N-Channel MOSFET switching regulator.

Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check the DCV between the 2 legs of the biggest capacitor;
  • • using the negative leg of the biggest capacitor as reference ground, what are the voltages of the 3 legs of the MOSFET.

A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit/circuit be plugged in and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Louie, Technician