Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

I have a Yamaha rx820 receiver and the sound through my

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha rx820 receiver and the sound through my system goes in and out. How do I fix it?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reply
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , a few questions coming up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Does it cut off in some particular circumstances ,always at the same time or while trying to play the same equipment for rxample or is it totally random and no matter what is playng ?

Did you make any changes (hardware or settings) prior to this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Totally random. Getting worse. Used to come in and out. Now it stays out. Turning off then on has helped. No changes to settings that I know of.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k and does it do anything like showing a message on the display , lights blinking or just sits there with no sound ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No messages
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tv works perfectly, the X box, too just no sound
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then you mean that it just stays there turned on as if nothing was wrong but no sound ??

When this happens , if you try to play its own radio for example , does it work ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

When you say tv , you also mean cable box or satellite box I take it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not hearing the radio but a little fuzz sound on the am channel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tv is hooked up,to,directv
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While testing the radio, I hit back to tv button and sound came back on , most likely it will go out in a minute or two
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

o.k then you must have the TV's audio out going to the RX , is that correct ?

I take it you`re not a radio listener otherwise you would use the FM

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is also,a zone button that when I press it says zone 2 on or off, not sure where zone 1 is, only says zone 2.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do not listen to the radio through the tv ever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should say we do not listen to the radio through the receiver
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You the MAIN zone , never mind zone 2 .

Now you are saying that this happens also with the XBOX ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry it takes time between replies , the website is acting up this morning.

At this point there could be 2 things to try before talking about possible repairs ;

One would be a full reset and the other a firmware upgrade .

Lets start with the reset

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can call me if it is easier on you. They want to charge me to call you. If your website is acting up.(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I reset?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If easier, we can just email.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Actually will have links and perhaps pictures so the phone won`t help

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Strangely enough there doesn`t seem to be a system reset on this model , just independent settings reset so we`ll step to the firmware upgrade .

Start by looking at the link below and I`ll come up with the firmware fie shortly ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1mcr8gbsegva0w/2015-12-26_1157.png?dl=0

By the way , if that link opens a login window popup then just close it with the upper corner X or the "no thanks . continue to view"
The picture is behind that .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure how to update firmware. The Dropbox link led me to believe I would need a network connection to the receiver or usb connect. Not sure how I would do either? The tv is a smart tv. Maybe that way?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Although it does not address directly the problem you are having now this firmware will refresh you RX internal software and in effect perform a reset , at this point it is the next step before considering a hardware problem and repair .

Click the link below and follow the instructions there , also do not for get to download the instructions ;

http://download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=65547&category_id=16622&product_id=1663301&1451149148

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

That is your answer above , I wasn`t finished with info on that

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You can see on that page the RELATED DOWNLOAD which are the instructions and then below that the check box and finally download button for the firmware itself .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am following the instructions for the firmware. It says press on screen button and nothing shows up on the tv. The screen of the receiver says view on screen. Not sure where the next button is that says "information "
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You need to have the RX connected to the tv is such a way that you have the RX menu on the tv screen first .

If you`re just taking the sound out of the tv and feeding t to the RX then that won`t do .

Can`t you see the RX menu on the tv screen ???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I guess not.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The way this is supposed to be hooked up is that you connect your equipment to the RX first and then the RX to the tv , not the reverse i.e the equipment into the tv and then tv into the RX , that is the old way of connecting thing before receivers could process video

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not set it up.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

For now what you can do is connect your RX to the tv with a HDMI cable

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is beyond my skills
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The RX has 2 hdmi output , leave your wiring as it is , just add a HDMI cable from one of its output to one of the TV's free hdmi input and set your tv to that input , then you will be able to see the RX menu on screen

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you cannot manage that then I`m afraid that you will need help from a local tech. on this one .

Did you buy that unit locally ?

Do these guy do home install ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have that cable. Are you thinking that tis download of firmware will make a difference or do you think this is a directv box issue?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Right now the way you are connected and if this happens with the xbox as well then I`m thinking much more of a tv or connection issue .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You could have the direct tv tech. check out their wiring and have it hooked up correctly , they do that as well .

Just buy a HDMI cable or two before calling them , that would make a much better and easier connection and you can buy HDMI cables now for less than $10

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trying
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This receiver is made to run HDMI and needs to be the center of the system by having the equipment connected to it first and then the tv simply as a monitor not control center .

Not trying , I told you what you needed and if you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.