Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

Can you please call me as soon as you're available...ill

Customer Question
be ready to take the...
Can you please call me as soon as you're available...ill be ready to take the call...need to get this done today?? Trying to get my outside speakers and wifi for Pandora set up
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
12/21/2015
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. My apologies for missing you earlier, I'm happy to help you with this via phone, or here in chat if you prefer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I need to get my outdoor speakers working... can you walk me through it? Also Im a slow typer

Yes I can help you, I believe we've talked a few times in the past.

This is for a denon avr-x3000, correct?
I believe we had them working once on zone 2 for internal sources (pandora), correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
LOL I never did get around to making my outdoor speakers function and I don't have an ethernet to hook up for Pandora , at least not in reach
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But yes same equipment

Okay well the avrx3000 model is not wifi capable, so ethernet is necessary there.

The outdoor speakers can be driving off the zone 2 outputs, you just have to go into speaker setup and set the amp assign to use the last 2 amp channels for zone 2 instead of back surround or height speakers.

Are you using just a single pair, or is there a speaker switch or external amp used?

Are you needing help with the wiring too, or just with the settings

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its already wired...I just need to put it in the right spot on the back and get it setup in the receiver itself

The network is wired?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not the network but the speakers are wired already from the previous receiver. Im looking at it now and I might have a problem... The wires from those speakers are the kind you put the positive and the negative in the places you would screw down to hold in place as for the Denon has in zone 2 the kind you plug in???? Is there such a thing to convert that to make it work so that we don't have to rewire this ? from Radio shack maybe

The speaker wires go to the zone 2 (surround terminals), they are shaded gray on the back.

If you don't have a network connection to it yet, since it doesn't have wifi, if you can't do ethernet, there are alternate options such as a wifi bridge or powerline ethernet adapter: http://amzn.to/1J1jDBx

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ahhhh... ok I already had that hooked up from my trial and error
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ill have to try the bridge thing later... Mainly want to get these speakers hooked up

Surround back (assignable) are the ports to connect your outside speakers to

then go into the speaker setup menu under amp assign and you'll set it to zone 2

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please forgive me but can't remember how to get to the speaker setup... can you refresh me

Grab the denon remote, press receiver, then setup,

scroll down to Manual Setup

under Amp Assign, choose Zone 2 as the selection (enter button)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
theres no button saying receiver

On the top of the denon remote it should say receiver (or amp).

This step is just to put it into receiver control mode (so it isn't trying to control a dvd player or other device )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK i still don't see that but I just hit the button for zone 2 and the outside speakers came on then receiver shut off... Ive turned both inside and outside on but can't figure out how to turn off the inside leaving only the outside on.... now after only 2 or 3 minutes it has shut off again??

If it is shutting itself down without you touching anything, then you have something connected wrong - there is a bad speaker/switch, a short in the speakers, you have the volume too high (or too many speakers) or there are some stray speaker wires touching the back.

To have just the outside on, turn z2 power on first, then press MAIN on the remote, then power, and z2 should stay on.

This can also be done easily from the denon remote control app (once you have the network part setup)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK.... Its still shutting off??? I now have the zone 1 and main figured out ...Thanks but its shutting off after a few minutes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Di I need to go back and try to set up in the speaker setup menu to change something??

Is it only on z2 that it shuts down?
Does it happen on main only, or only when both are running together?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
happens either way

Well there were 3 options there.

Does the main zone work ok all by itself?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ive been using that almost daily since our last conversation... Ididnt realize zone 2 was even functioning till I hit the button trying to figure out which button to get to speaker setup

Okay, so there is something wrong with the zone 2 wiring it appears.

Double check that the speaker wires for z2 terminals are all securely in the ports. Even a single stray strand of speaker wire that is loose or touching the back of the receiver will cause shutdown and can even fry your receiver.

If still no change, I need more details about your outside speakers: how many, what gauge wire and how long the wires are (estimate is fine) and if there are any external speaker switches/selector boxes, volume control knobs, etc.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yep there were some fray wires touching backside... however I cut them down and stripped down to be sure no bare wire is exposed outside the terminal...still shutting down :((...... I have 2 outside speakers, not sure of the gauge but its big wire,approximately 30 - 50' from receiver. There are no volume knobs...and I don't have any switch box connected

Can you check the wiring on the other end (speaker side) to make sure there isn't any stray wires there touching each other or shorting to the speaker terminals?

If they are hard to access, try testing the z2 left and right speakers independently, to isolate which is the problem then you can investigate further.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
checking now

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its too dark outside and Im gonna have to try again tomorrow morning when can see better.....its a tight spot...thanks for your help...Merry Christmas

You're welcome. I'm hopeful you'll find it's just a loose wire somewhere.

If that all checks out, try listening at a very low volume and see if that does any better.

Nathan, Engineer