Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have a Denon receiver tried to u pdate and switched off in

Customer Question
between by mistake, now every...
I have a Denon receiver tried to u pdate and switched off in between by mistake, now every time I get a message retry update and it is not working
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
12/4/2015
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the complete model number?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi no one has helped me but charged me on my card.

Per the terms you agreed to you, you are charged the full amount upon corresponding with an expert.
You've posted no details of your question, and I've asked you for some additional information.
I cannot help you until you provide the requested information.

I need to know the complete model number of your receiver.

Is it actually powering up and operating normally but it just won't update again?
Or will it not boot up past the retry update screen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry to say I had mentioned that I cannot work late night I had to sleep at that time, and could only work next day, still you charged me, if ok we can discuss now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
AVR X1100W

Sorry, none of those comments came through, only that you powered off during an update.

Unfortunately with denon receivers there are really no firmware recovery options.
If an update is interrupted, it can "brick" the receiver, causing permanent damage. Ultimately, repairs will probably be required.

There are a few steps we can try, but I need you to please answer all of the questions I asked:

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is powering up but not working normally, message I get is retry update and then after sometime it shows normal Cab/Sat, if I restart again same way

Okay,after it gets to the point of normal cable/sat, are you getting audio/video?
Can you get into the menu at that time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, no audio video and does not show anything on TV

Okay then in that situation your powering off has corrupted the firmware.

The only thing we can try here is a microprocessor reset,

Starting from power off,

press and hold the tuner preset + and - buttons on the front panel

keep holding while powering back on, until display starts flashing

then try to go into the setup menu and run the update process again

Let me know the results.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did the same , still the same issue

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, that is the only thing you can do yourself here. There is no manual or usb based recovery option for denons.

The receiver would have to go in for repairs at this point, as the interruption of the update corrupts the firmware and the only way to recover that will be to replace the main board in the unit. Denon typically will not honor any warranty coverage for this, as they consider it a user error.

It won't hurt to try filing a warranty claim, however if they won't cover it, you are probably better off replacing the receiver. Repairs will run you about $450, and you can replace it with a brand new unit (or even the newer model) for less: http://amzn.to/1NwDLXU

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

___

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.

Nathan, Engineer