Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

Remember the following you told me to do ??? Well i tried

Customer Question
hi jack ...remember the following...
hi jack ...remember the following you told me to do ??? Well i tried all the audio out plugs and none work... Bought the amp you said to... Any other suggestions ???? Jack Technician Yes i suspected that it would cut off the speakers , some amplifier let
you select either cut off or both and that is what i was checking on yours but there no such option . What you will need out of zone 2 rca jacks at the back will be a small headphones amplifier , the signal there is not high enough as it is now , it needs
to be amplified . Looking for such an amplifier as an example right now 03 November 2015 08:51 Jack Jack Technician Here is an example of a cheap one but that would do ; http://www.avshop.ca/recording/studio-monitoring/headphone-amplifiers/behringer-ma400-ultra-compact-monitor-headphone-amp?gclid=COf4_OGx9MgCFRAvaQodCasFIA
You can see more of those on amazon as well ; http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/electronics/13880161
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
11/8/2015
Technician: Jack, Technician replied 2 years ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

I don`t normally work on sunday but what is it that you want to listen to while the speakers and headphones are working at the same time ?

Good Morning Jack:
Sorry about the Sunday question, I did not know your work hours and this is not an emergency.
I do belive your suggestions will work as you are the expert.
I just have to get all the logitist correct, I am just not as tech savay as I should be.
First of all yes, I did try all the audio out rca outlets and no sound.
Tested the head phones via the headphone jack on the Yamamha amp and they are working.
Took the amp into Radio Shack and they tested it there and said it was working prefectly. They charged me 10 dollars but was worth the peice of mind.
Next I followed the Zone 2 instructions in the manual, Zone 2 is displayed as on in the Yamamha amp screen.
The volumne is set to 35 which is loud on the main speakers.
The displays shows Zone 2 connected to AV5... I tried to change it but does not seem to accept anything else.
I tried plugging into the AV5 audio out and no sound.
It must be something I am doing wrong. Looks like there has to be a combination of settings in order to get the sound.
Just have to determine want those settings are I assume.
If there are any other tips you can share it would be appreciated.Ken

You should still be able to select something else but yes I found that your receiver will not play anything out of zone 2 if the source is digital , IE HDMI and optical input .

Take a look here at what inputs the receiver will take and play while in zone 2 mode ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32n9ea6qruvd0dc/2015-11-08_1143.png?dl=0

That's number 4

Now I will ask again , what is it that you want to listen to while the speakers and headphones are working at the same time ?

By the way , you wont get anything out of AV 5 out either if the source is digital , this receiver will not output any analog audio anywhere ( audio out 1 and 2 , the av 5,6 or zone 2 ) if the source is digital , the source has to be analog so I may have a work around to this if you can reply to my question

If you are talking about the cable box for example then leave it connected hdmi but add a rca stereo cable from it to the receivers audio in 1or 2 and set zone 2 to that input .

But first test your amp directly at the cable box to make sure this is functional

At this point I`m not sure why your receivers zone 2 lets you select the av5 only but if that is the case then connect your cable box in that input and try zone 2 again.

Hold everything Ken

Not sure why I did not see this before other than the fact that you don`t normally see that in modern receivers but your RX has FRONT PREAMP OUT , there should be sound there at any time

OK .. I will try them once I get home.....I am at work now ...
Thank for all this ...let you know what happens tonight..

No problem I should be around

hi Jack....I tried the front pre amp out and still no sound. I double checked the headphones and they are working..... I belive you are telling me that no matter want setting, HDMI, Tuner, DVD, AV1, etc. that the pre amp out should always have sound?
Is there a way I can test the pre amp out? I own a multi meter if that helps.

Im not saying that there should always be sound there when using hdmi but it would make sense

You said you tried the headphones , did you try it with that amp ?

Did you try the preamp out with the receiver`s own tuner in fonction ?

Did you turn up the volume ?

That preamp out is volume dependent

Right now i just cant believe that something so simple is getting to be so complicated , test the amp you bought with headphones and all directly at the cable box or anything that gives sound and then there has to be an output on that receiver that gives sound !!

By the way , you got the model number of that small amp you bought ?

tried the headphones with the amp attached to the pre amp out.... Tested the headphones in the headphone jack of the RX...they worked... when I get home and will plug it in at the cable box then too and test... just answer will only let me contact you through my work email...thus why I only get back to you the next day after I try stuff. Amp is Behranger model ma400.

O.k then i guess you got a 1/4" phone to rca stereo adapter to connect the monitor input to the RX preamp or zone 2 out ?

Try it it on the RX preamp while something analog like the tuner is playing then test it with the other inputs like hdmi , as i said the preamp out would make sense if it had whatever sound is playing through the output of the RX , after all the preamp is the last step (normally) before the speaker out circuits .

have those connectors ...will try and let you know ..

o.k

Hi .. well I got it to work...thank yopu.....but the volumn coming out of the heads phones is very low....yes I can turn the RX volumn up but that blast all the other our of the house,,,, Is it possiable for me to buy a more porwefull amp than the one you suggested I buy?
Will that work or do you have another suggestion

Right now it is correct that if you use the preamp out then it may be too low for the headphones while it is just correct for the house speakers and not sure another amp would do any better , i would consider wireless headphones that have their own amps before thinking about a different model that would probably not do any good anyway

Again , how and when do you use the headphones ?

If that is while watching the cable box for example then run a pair of rca cables from that box (beside the hdmi ) to one of the analog input and then use zone 2 where you can crank up the volume as high as you want it .

OK...will try that first ...thanks

No problem , there has to be a way now to make that zone 2 work as it should

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician