Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

My zone 2 speaker connection home audio is now barely

Customer Question

My zone 2 speaker connection for my home audio is now barely audible from my home speakers
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What's the Make and Model number of the receiver in question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Deion AVR 1713
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Denon AVR 1713
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Does the main zone still play audio normally please?

Also, have you tried more than one source on Zone 2 to make sure it's the receiver and not the source (for example cable bo, DVD, FM tuner, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Main source still works, its hooked up to 5.1 surround sound. Zone 2 is for whole house speakers, they are playing at a very low volume
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Right, I understand what Zone 2 is. You can play different "sources" through Zone 2- that is what I'm asking you to check to see if ALL sources are low in volume from Zone 2. In other words, if you're using an Iphone connected to the receiver, then instead select the FM tuner and let me know if the volume is STILL low so we can determine what's the root cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, let me try
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Alright let me know.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If all sources on the receiver are low in volume- let me know and we can try a couple of reboots on the Denon.

If only ONE source is low in volume- then please tell me what that source is and I can assist further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still checking
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay no problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Weird situation, I'll call you. Is that ok?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't use the phone call feature, and the site charges extra for that. Can you reply back on this page?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Describe the weird situation and I can help further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I connected to the main source that is supposed to manage all the speakers, it d/n work. Used my iPhone in the upstairs input and its powering the speakers with exception to the upstairs speakers which its supposed to control
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, please shut the Denon off, then unplug it from power for 10 seconds and plug it back in. Check the sound again- if that doesn't work, then let me know if there's a speaker selector/external amplifier somewhere in the mix and make sure that ALL zone 2 speakers are affected.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
didn't fix it, same problem. There is an external amp. The inputs are amplified by components of the whole home audio components
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The issue could be caused by the external amp. Please remove the cables from the Zone 2 outs of the Denon and connect a source directly to those cables to rule out the Denon or the amp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't think I can, the Denon has two outs (L&R). My iPhone only has one input/output source
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

And you don't have an 1/8" to stereo RCA patch cable I would presume?

Hmm, it's hard to troubleshoot without being able to successfully complete these tests.

Let us instead move towards a full reset of the Denon. To do this click on the link below and scroll to page 126 and follow the instructions for "Resetting the Microprocessor". Keep in mind you'll need to setup the Denon as if it were new out of the box:

http://d2stobyut4u5rx.cloudfront.net/ImageBank/v20121125130700/Manuals/033/033AV1713.PDF

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can whole home speakers get rearranged in the A/V "brains" of the house?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what you're asking exactly? Please elaborate, and also tell me the Brand and Model of the "AV Brains".

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you're asking if the speaker locations could have changed in the processor of an external AV system's amp- then yes it's possible but I don't know what piece we're dealing with here. There are hundreds of different processors out there (Russound, Niles, Dayton, Crestron, Extron, etc.). Which is why I need more specifics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no worries, I'm resetting first
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, hopefully that's the possible quick fix. The more pieces to the system the more variables we have as the possible cause....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, and what were the results?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its playing the input for all speakers, but the volume is still low at each of the speakers. I have a whole house speaker system that has 4 separate volume controls. All are cranked to the max and the volume is still low
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any recommendations to get the volume up at the speakers?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I still have no specifics on the whole house system. Can you help me to help you please?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Brand and model of the amplifier connected to Zone 2 on the Denon please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also, what is the zone 2 volume set to on the Denon? Using the Denon remote, select Zone 2, then hit volume up- is it up all of the way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No separate amp running Zone 2. the whole home system has four zones each with two speakers with independent volume controls. Will try the volume recommendation
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If your house has 4 zones there's an external amp? You stated there were RCA signal cables coming out of zone 2 on the Denon- these can ONLY go to an amplifier. Or were you mistaken on there being RCA cables at the zone 2 outputs??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
waiting for the Denon to finish testing, standby
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Standing by.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me explain it a different way...the whole house system has four sets of speakers with independent volume control. I can control the input to all four sets using Zone 2 of my Denon or control one set of upstairs speakers with a source using RCA cables. The Denon uses a (L/R) input output for Zone 2 only
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Do you still need help with this?
If so, can you please give me complete make/model information about every device that is connected to your z2 system there?
I've sent an optional phone support offer at your request. If you prefer we can continue here in the chat format as well.