Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have an RCA RTD258 5 disc DVD/CD player that just stopped

Customer Question

I have an RCA RTD258 5 disc DVD/CD player that just stopped working. You cannot power off fromm the panel or remote. I have unplugged it and plugged it back in, only the light on the woofer comes off. You can hear mechanical action of the loader but none of the pane indicators come on.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, especially for this brand. These rca systems are built with low quality parts (to keep costs down) and tend to have very short service lives. At this point it has served its expected life many times over.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs simply won't be feasible. Parts are no longer available and labor costs alone will exceed the value of the system. You could expect to be in the $250 range for diagnostics, (used) parts, and labor, which would be better invested in a new and updated system with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.