Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

My Onkyo HT-R290 is not getting any sound to the speakers.

Customer Question

Hi, my Onkyo HT-R290 is not getting any sound to the speakers. If i turn my audio tv out to ON, it works through the tv speakers, off-no sound from anywhere. I hear one click when the receiver first turns on and shows the volume level then another a second later when bd/dvd pops up on the receiver’s display.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, would the Onkyo HT-R290 work as expected in radio mode (AM and FM) ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it initially did but is not now.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

I understand.

Have you considered / tried a RESET of the Onkyo HT-R290 ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can go ahead and try to do that now. How and what does this issue sound like?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

Either a firmware glitch or an internal hardware issue.

Please post back results / observations of the above once the RESET has been tried.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just did. Now no sound from speakers or tv.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

A reset of the Onkyo would have no effect on the TV's performance particularly of its sound.

Or is there a cable box or satellite receiver feeding the Onkyo?

If yes and connected by HDMI, is the Onkyo's Audio TV Out set to On?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its connected to a Sony dvd player, it wasn't set to on. When I changed the setting to on, the av receiver displayed: TV Speakers and that it muted the receiver.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

And after the RESET, would AM and/or FM now work?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
AM/FM still not working
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

A reset is both a test and a try of a fix.

That it was not corrective would point to a most likely possibility that the Onkyo has an internal hardware issue.

Have you tried connecting the Sony DVD player directly to the TV?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just did and the sound is still only from the tv speakers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the display says amp speaker now instead of tv speakers
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

That it would not work in AM or FM would make it doubtful that it would work with other modes.

What is the model number of the Sony DVD player please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BDP-N460
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

Let's complete the picture; how was the Sony BDP-N460 originally connected to the Onkyo HT-R290 using what kind of cable(s) please? How is it directly connected to the TV now? And how is the Onkyo HT-R290 connected to the TV?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First: Sony was connected through the HDMI OUT to to Onkyo's HDMI BD/DVD. The Onkyo had the HDMI OUT connected to the TV's HDMI ARC. Then there's an optical plug in the Onkyo's Digital in that is connected to the TV's audio out. Now, the only switch I made was connecting the HDMI OUT of the Sony directly to the TV.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

Thanks.

That the Onkyo still fails to have sound even in just AM or FM would point to itself as faulty. This is specially true since a RESET was not corrective. It would then require repairs or replacement.

For the moment, the Sony DVD player would have to be connected directly to the TV and the TV speakers used for the sound.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.