Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have the Klipsch - "Reference Soundbar with 8" Wireless

Customer Question
Subwoofer" hooked up to my...
I have the Klipsch - "Reference Soundbar with 8" Wireless Subwoofer" hooked up to my HDTV thru the back of the TV. I want to replace the subwoofer with the Klipsch R-10SW Powerful 10" 300 watts Subwoofer. Question: What is the best way to make the R-10SW wireless or can I hard wire the new R-10SW subwoofer?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/16/2015
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me what other equipment you're using here?
Is it just a tv?
a/v receiver?
Cable/satellite box, dvd, etc?

It's a Samsung HDTV 55". I have the optical plugged into the back of the back of the soundbar and it connects to the subwoofer that came with it, wirelessly. There are no other connections to hard wire it.

No there are not, that is a limitation of this system.

You have a wireless sub and soundbar there that are proprietary and only compatible with each other.

There is no way to integrate a different sub model with this soundbar directly, either wired or wirelessly.

What you could do however is use both subs, or wire the bigger sub to the tv directly.

To do that, you'd need to get an optical splitter, and then also an optical to analog converter that could ultimately drive that other sub via a cord.

Would that be acceptable to you? If so, I can give you links to parts. The downside of this approach is that there is really no volume control for the wired sub.

It's the Klipsch - "Reference Soundbar with 8" Wireless Subwoofer" . It retails for $599, but the sub is not really that great.

Yes I understand what equipment you have, and the above info still applies.

Do I need an optical to analog converter to power the new sub? The new sub has 300 watts.

The new sub is powered on its own, it is an active or self amplified sub, but you would need a means to get signal to it.

here is what you need:

Splitter: http://amzn.to/1PweFxf to share signal out of tv to the soundbar and converter

Converter: http://amzn.to/1RLhmKs

Rca cable: http://amzn.to/1RLhvxK

doing this, this way, if I turn the volume up on my soundbar, the volume would not go up on the 2nd sub?

No it would not.

There would be zero volume control for the big sub, other than the knob on the back.

This setup is the only possible way, other than buying an a/v receiver, that you would get the big sub to work with the existing soundbar.

It is also not going to give any volume control - an optical signal is a pure digital audio stream, there is no power or amplification behind it, so there is no inherent volume control.

There is no link in this situation between the soundbar and big sub, they have no control or effect on each other, they are simply coexisting and working in tandem off a split signal.

Wireless receivers and transmitters would not work in this situation.

It wouldn't change anything, it would just eliminate a cord from the tv to the big sub.

You'd still have volume control issues as they'd be independent systems, though a wireless receiver would potentially have its own volume control, it would still have to be operated separately from the main system.

For what you seem to want, you'd really be better off selling/returning the current soundbar/sub system, and buying yourself the sub you want, an a/v receiver, and a passive soundbar

What wireless receiver has a volume control?
Is there a way to add a wireless volume control to a Yamaha receiver from 1977?

None that would be remote controlled, or integrated into the tv in anyway. Most all wireless systems rely on the input level to control the volume, other than using the knob on the sub itself.

You'd still have to adjust each independently, and then we're getting into other issues with needing additional conversion on the sub end after a wireless device too.

There is really no good solution for trying to add/change the sub in your existing system.

Not any good option, no. It is possible, but for the costs involved you'd be better off buying a new system, and an old receiver is not going to be able to integrate with the optical connections either, converters would still be needed for that.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Did you need more help with this?
I've sent an optional phone support offer at your request. If you prefer we can continue here in the chat format as well.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan, Engineer