Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

I install a channel plus da 550 hhr, with a channel plus

Customer Question

Hi
I install a channel plus da 550 hhr, with a channel plus modulator.
I have 2 direct tv rec. 1 outside video cam and a local ant.
We have 5 tvs that run off of the cable back feed in the house.
I also have 3 rooms with a single cable running to them.
The back feed works fine, but when I hook up the single lines the red light will flash like it has interference. I have to run a splitter out of the tv out to get them to work.
I want to know if there is a intenuator to let me hook up the singles?
Or do you know the problem?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Most likely the single lines have the wrong topology - or they are unterminated (lacking a terminator.)

If you tell me what the cabling topology is, for the 'cable back feed', I can (I think) tell you what you would need to do or add to the single lines to get them to work also.

'Cable topology' means cabling layout, how the whole network is shaped, that sort of thing. A 'bus topology' for instance is different from a 'ring topology'.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is like all homes standard rg6 ran to 5 rooms in the home I have a 5 mag to 2.4 meg splitter in side that works now but I would like to take io out and hook up direct

What is the cabling layout for the part that works, the 'cable back feed', please? or can you tell, is it all inside the walls?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The cable layout is a spitter that's it

I apologize and I have to Opt Out, since I cannot offer helpful advice for this problem.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. I built cable TV systems, and have seen what a "hot" signal can do to the picture. It's simple to knock it down with an attenuator. They can get to be a bit expensive, so here's a trick, click here. Attenuators are generally -6db, this one will knock the signal down -7.4db per leg, so feed this with your DA and send the split signal to your problem TVs.