Steve G., Master Technician
Experience:  Audio Video System design and repair.
329447

I have a Pioneer vsx-321 av receiver and when I use HDMI

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer vsx-321 av receiver and when I use HDMI either from a Sky HD sat Box or a Blue-Ray dvd player I get video but no sound going to the connected speakers
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Ok, go to the Audio Options in the Pioneer (press Audio Parameter button) and look for HDMI. Make sure it is set to AMP and not set for THRU.

Check that first and let me know.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

If it is, then you have one of the more budget oriented amps that also requires and audio connection from the TV back to the amp. This is shown in the manual. You would need to run an optical cable back to the Pioneer.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is on AMP & not Pass through.
I have connected an optical cable from Blue-Ray Disc player to the VSX-321 av receiver, still not sound coming out.
I also have new cables to the Speakers (have only connected front Left & Right).
Still no sound.
When I select the source of AM or FM and try to just play Radio (i.e. not an HDMI source) still not sound to the Speakers
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. I was out of town today.

Ok so sound works ok on pass thorugh and you get sound from your TV speakers.

In the TV's audio settings is there a setting for 'external speakers' or 'home audio system'?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Steve, I appear to have resolved this. The AV unit was under a desk in my office for about a year.
The problem was quite simple the ear phone jack has dust in it making the unit think earphones were attached so don't push sound out the speakers! quick blow & clear with a Q-tip seems to have done the job
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Yup, that is quite common.

I'm glad you found it.

Best regards.

Steve