Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My marantz sr5002 on button is blinking and won't turn the

Customer Question

my marantz sr5002 on button is blinking and won't turn the unit on. a repair man says sounds like its out. 600 for new unit. is this right?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. Not sure what you're asking us here. Are you simply looking to see what it costs to buy another SR5002, or is there something else in the question I'm not understanding?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would that be this cause for the blinking light? That the receiver was going out? And is 600 for a new one correct?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The blinking light indicates either a hardware failure or that the unit needs to be reset. Have you tried connecting ONLY the Marantz to power- with nothing else connected to it (no speaker wires, no HDMI cables, etc.), to see if it will power up?

As far as replacement cost- the SR5002 has not been available for several years- it came out in 2007, and is a discontinued model- so it would not be available for purchase unless you find something used on Ebay or the like.

A comparable unit would be the SR7008- which can be purchased brand new at the link below for $1000 (which is $600 below the MSRP currently):

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7008/Marantz-SR7008.html

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Getting back to the blinking light, there's no resets aside from disconnecting the receiver and all peripherals from power to see if it's an external short (shorted speaker wire, HDMI cable, etc.) that's causing the problem. Aside from that the Marantz would need service- with the most common cause of this being a faulty processor or power supply PCB, and given the unit is 8 years old, and parts are scarce this is not a cost effective repair unfortunately.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I tried the reset button.
And if parts are scarce, I might as well get a new one
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Plus it's 8 years old and the cost of repairs would be a good chunk towards a replacement.

Sorry for the bad news.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.