Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I am not getting any sound when using a Roku 3 with my

Customer Question

I am not getting any sound when using a Roku 3 with my Yamaha 573 receiver - HDMI. it used to work, Yahama is showing decoder off
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Decoder off means the Yamaha is not sensing a signal from the source/device that it's set to. This can be caused by a few possible things, but first please simply disconnect the Yamaha from power, then remove the power cord from the Roku, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends (making sure it's secure), then plug both the Roku and Yamaha back into power and turn them on. Let me know if you have the same problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

If not, could you please click a 5 star rating for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Eric, this did not fix the issue. Decoder off is still appearing on the Yahama. Is there anything else that I can do. This is strange, because I an able to get sound from the Cable and the TV using the same HDMI port that I was using for the Roku and the AVR. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

If the same port works with the Cable Box, then try the Roku using the Cable Box's HDMI cable instead. We need to see WHY the Roku will not send signal through the AVR. It's possible the HDMI cable is the culprit. Let me know and we can proceed. Troubleshooting is a process so it's important you reply back with results so we know where to go from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Aric, I have tried everything that you have suggested. I still cannot get any sound from the AVR when I switch to the Roku. How can I pass the sound through the cable box.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Hi, you don't pass sound through the cable box.

Please read this again:

You said that you can get sound from the Cable and the TV using the same HDMI port that you were using for the Roku.

So, what I am saying is to take that HDMI cable OUT of the cable box, and plug it into the Roku- thus trying another HDMI cable on the Roku.

That is all I was saying- have you tried that please?

Have you also tried THAT HDMI cable into the OTHER HDMI ports on the Yamaha?

If so, what were the results in each port (please describe each port you plugged into using a different HDMI cable other than the one the Roku was previously using)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Aric,
I removed the HDMI from the cable box and plugged it into the Roku. Same result.
Here is the setup.
Sony TV on HDMI3 - on TV
Roku ON HDMI 2 - on TV
On Yahama
HDMI Out for TV
HDMI2 from Cable BoxRoku used to work on HDMI2 on Yahama, but when I switch to the Roku the Yahama goes to AV2 and shows Decoder off.Does this make sense.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Then that means the Roku or that particular Input on the Yamaha is the cause of the problem. Have you reset the processor on the Yamaha yet? Or, before we do that- have you simply tried unplugging the Yamaha from power for several seconds? Let me know.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Also, I will need the full model number off of the front of the Yamaha- you simply have 3 numbers posted....

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Is it RX-V573 please?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

If so, and if you have not tried this yet, then refer to the "reset to factory defaults" instructions on page 81 of the Yamaha manual below and follow those instructions:

http://d2stobyut4u5rx.cloudfront.net/ImageBank/v20120521122300/Manuals/022/022RXV473.PDF

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
AricI have unplugged the Yahama and all of the devices. It is a RX-V573. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Please scroll up and down the screen to see all replies. The last one I posted gives specific instructions for your receiver.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Aric, I solved the issue by plugging the Roku directly into the receiver.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Where was the Roku plugged in before? You said that the Roku was plugged into the Yamaha from the start of the question?