Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a SC-82 elite and cannot get my zone 2 speakers to

Customer Question

I have a SC-82 elite and cannot get my zone 2 speakers to work. I've checked the speakers and they are fine. But when I plug them into zone two and follow the instructions on the panel, no sound.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Zone 2 only plays back sources connected using RCA red and white cables- it will not playback any sources connected via HDMI, optical or digital coaxial. I'm not sure if you were aware of that.

So, what sources specifically are you trying to playback through Zone 2?

Please include make and model of device (for example: Explorer 4300HD cable box, or Samsung BDP5100 Blu Ray player, etc.).

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

The reason being is that Zone 2 and Zone 3 are analog (2 channel stereo), and the receiver does not convert the Main HDMI/optical/digital coax signals to analog- they are digital.

So, whatever source you want to play on Zone 2 or 3, need to be connected using analog connections (RCA stereo red and white), then you would follow the instructions on page 76 of the manual to activate and control the Zone 2 source:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/SC-82_OperatingInstructions041414.pdf

NOTE: If you're using a source such as a cable box, that's connected to the receiver with an HDMI cable, then you would need to get a small optical converter, and connect to the cable box "optical" jack and then access the red and white audio outs from the converter and connect to any Stereo "Line In" (RCA red and white only) on the receiver.

Additionally, if you're using a device such as a Blu Ray player or Roku, which does not give the RCA out, or optical out (to go to a converter), then an HDMI "Audio extractor" is needed, which is at the following link. It inserts in line to the HDMI signal, and then you simply tap into that using RCA red and white cables:

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-toslink-and-lr-audio--180-995

I realize this may not be the answer you'd hoped for, but most all Home Theater receivers are designed to only output the audio using RCA red and white- to the Zone 2 and 3 outputs.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click a 5 star rating for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.