Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have an HDTV that runs through a 10 year old Bose system.

Customer Question

I have an HDTV that runs through a 10 year old Bose system. Now I have Apple TV for streaming. It works but only as long as the sound is via the TV. I want to run the optical cable from Apple TV to the Bose but the optical port is taken and used by my cable tv. I have a converter from optical to (Digital to analog but it doesnt work. Any ideas.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

The problem with those converters is that they can typically only handle 2 channel pcm/bitstream connections. It can't downconvert the dolby digital 5.1 signal that your atv outputs by default.

A few things to try:
1) see if your cable box has a coax audio out (orange or black port), most of them do, and you can either use that or the red/white out of the box to the bose. This would free up the optical for the appletv

2) Otherwise, you'll need to go into the appletv settings menu, under audio, and set the audio out format to be pcm/stereo (instead of auto or dolby).

Best regards,