Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

I'd like to connect a sonos connect as a source resend

Customer Question

I'd like to connect a sonos connect as a source for my resend system...is that possible?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for requesting me. What type of plugs were used to connect your iPod dock? What is the model number of the Resend system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use red/white audio cables and we have a RAVD1 Rnet decoder that the iPod dock was connected to. Russound CAV 6.6 multi zone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The audio cables are plugged into the RAVD1 decoder and there is a CAT5 connecting the iPod dock to the decoder then the decoder is connected to the system. I just replaced the iPod dock with the sonos connect but it's not working. Tried other configurations but nothing seems to work.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, and were you able to get Sonos connected to the network?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's connected to the network.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, now there is one thing that is commonly mistaken, did you plug the red/white RCA cables into the audio OUT, vs audio IN on Sonos?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i plugged them into the out. So should I bypass the DAV decoder and just plug the audio cables directly into the sonos connect?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Yes, absolutely. DAV is completely different, PCM is what Sonos uses. Bypass the DAV, and it should work nicely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I completely disconnect the DAV then? all plugs from Rnet to russound or does it matter? Still not working is why I ask.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

If you connect the Sonos OUT to where the DAV plugs into Russound, that is how you will get audio. What is the model number of the Russound? The idea is that the signal from Sonos is directly compatible with any red/white RCA input on Russound. There shouldn't be a DAV in the system, unless you have digital audio that needs it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it, thanks
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Are you getting sound now?

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just checking in, is your Sonos working like it should? If not, we can continue working on this at no extra cost. If it is working, please provide a rating so I can get credit for helping you. Thank you for using JustAnswer!