Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have a marine kenwood deck that powers up, reads whats

Customer Question
Hello. I have a...
Hello. I have a marine kenwood deck that powers up, reads whats playing, but there is 0 sound. The radio worked today then said there was a miswire issue. I disconnected the speakers and reconnected to find the message gone but no audio. Help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
8/8/2015
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Kenwood headunit.
And, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter?
KMR-M312BT. Yes i do have a multimeter.
Can we talk on the phone by any chance?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Appreciate the additional information. And sorry but my current location would make phone calls not that practical.
Still, please do again the "...disconnected the speakers..." and then check the wire pairs for resistance reading/Ω:
• white & white/black;
• gray & gray/black;
• green & green/black;
• xx (most likely).
On the wires where the speakers would hook up? Unit on or off? What setting on the multimeter (200, 2000, 20k, 200k, 2000k)?
All speakers disconnected read 4.0 ohm on the 200 setting
Thanks and as expected. T^his then would eliminate the speakers and their wiring as suspects.
Have you tried a RESET of the Kenwood?
I have tried all the speakers one at a time as well as another, brand new speaker that was 4ohm and it didnt work
The radio is showing names of songs playing so it does receive information, data, and obviously i would assume music. Bluetooth and tuner does not work so everything doesnt work
In regard to sound
That a RESET was not corrective is very significant. With the speakers tested to be good and yet the symptom persist, then it would be an internal hardware issue.
Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a soldering iron?
Listen, if you cant help me fix it with a menu option that may be done by mistake or some other symptom, no reason to continue. Im not going to bring out my soldering iron and destron the interal components.
if u cant fix it, i need my $31 out of $36 back.
It was working perfectly fine, then said bad wiring on the powered on head unit, and now the head unit looks normal but 0 sound.
Sorry, can't do anything with a hardware fault without internal repairs.
As my participation is strictly limited to technical concerns, please contact Customer Support for the "...need my $31 out of $36 back..."
This is not an Info Request.
It said $5 deposit that i would agree tgat i would pay $36 if satisfied. Im sure ur a smart guy but ur not a kenwood expert. You did not have me even check the settings which tells me you are not familiar. I can let paypal know i was sold a service that advertised something it could not deliver and i will get all my money back. I wish i went with my gut and didnt do this.
The RESET would have reverted ALL SETTINGS to factory default; a fail safe condition. The Kenwood would and should work. If not, then it has an internal hardware issue if the speaker/wires tested good.
The question would be re-opened as I would rather opt out.
Again, not an Info Request.
Ur website says they have experts and they dont. U did not even ask me to check other common areas before asking me to bring out a soldering gun. Im more than happy to pay for a working solution but u could not deliver. I am sure its not u but ur boss that gets u into these messes, but ur not a kenwood expert, i know u have access to a phone so no reason to pretend u dont (just tell me the truth, boss doesnt allow it or u r handling multiple requests), and like anything else, if u cant deliver what u claim then u cant get paid. I will get my refund.
Poor business model. If your company didnt focus on tricking people in and focused on what ur strong at u would have better business and repeat business. Not to u personally but u should let someone know.
Louie, Technician