Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have a yamaha ysp 4100. It has gone dead and I don't know

Customer Question
I have a yamaha ysp...
I have a yamaha ysp 4100. It has gone dead and I don't know why. we did have a storm week or so ago, but I also have a whole house surge protector. The unit is only about 3 years old. Please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
7/5/2015
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Aric, Engineer
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
Offhand there's no surge protector out there that can protect all electronics- that's why even business lose equipment during storms (and they use some pretty high end UPS battery backups).
Can you please tell me if there are ANY sign of life at all on the YSP4100 (power light, buzz or hum sounds, etc.)?
Also, were any other devices affected (cable box, router, TV, etc.)?
No there is no sign of life.
And no other device was affected. TV, standby cable box, etc
Thank you. I don' use the phone service the site offers, as they charge extra for it, and it's not conducive to tech problems where information must be looked up.
I am pulling up related info on this unit right now.
okay. we will type each other.
thank you Aric
You're welcome. Okay, I was checking to see if the Yamaha used an external switchmode power supply- since those fail commonly and are easy to replace. It doesn't though and uses a direct IEC power cord connection. Please remove the power cord from the AC outlet (wall) and also from the back of the Yamaha. Then press and hold the power button on the front of the unit itself (not the remote), for 15 seconds and release. Wait a minute then securely connect the AC cord to the back of the Yamaha and also into the wall outlet. Press power once and let me know what happens please.
stand by....
No problem, will do.
still no like
still no life
Ugh, that's bad news. Still no power light, click, etc.? Are other devices plugged into that AC outlet working?
let me try another outlet, please stand by again
no nothing. bad news huh?
This wold mean at the very least that the mains AC fuse inside of the Yamaha has opened, and at worst- the power supply PCB has a hardware failure ( a blown capacitor, voltage regulator or switchmode supply). If you're comfortable removing all of the screws on the back of the Main Input board, you can remove that entire module and then check the AC fuse (which is located within 3" of where the power cord connection is on the Yamaha).
If this is not something that you're comfortable with, a shop will typically charge around $200 parts and labor for a basic repair (such as the fuse or capacitor replacement), and possibly close to $300 if the issue requires complete replacement of the PCB.
Alternatively, at the link below you can order service manuals and parts directly from Yamaha if the issue goes beyond a fuse and you're looking to perform a DIY repair: http://usa.yamaha.com/support/ Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Aric, Engineer