Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I own a NAD T748 I have an optical input selected on Source…

Customer Question
I own a NAD T748 I...
I own a NAD T748
I have an optical input selected on Source 7
It plays fine through the Receiver to my primary speakers
But I am trying to use the Audio 3 out which is recommended for a recording device and I want to feed that signal to a remote amp in another room to play the same source in another room. The problem I believe I am having is that I have optical input on Source 7 but I want the Audio 3 out to put out an ANALOG signal to feed my secondary amp.How do I setup that Audio 3 out to be analog or how do I set Source 7 to output Analog through Audio 3 while the NAD is playing the optical digital signal internally to my Primary speakers.
The Source 7 optical in is working just fine. It is obtaining the secondary Analog out on the Audio 3 (recording ) output that is not working and I suspect because I believe I need to tell the system to allow Analog out on the terminal.
Thanks
Bruce Katz
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
7/1/2015
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Aric, Engineer
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand, can you please tell me what type of source you're connecting to the Source 7 optical Input on the NAD?
I am running from an Edirol UA -5 which is how I feed music from my laptop (MP3 files) to my NAD
USB from laptop goes to Edirol which goes Optic to the NAD input #1
The reason I ask, is that the Audio 3 and Zone 2 both, can only output audio connected from "Analog" source- there is no down-conversion within the receiver for any of the digital signals to pass through to the Audio 3 and zone 2 jacks (this is outlined in the manual as well).
So a workaround would be needed. You're going to need to split that optical signal into two- and send one lead to an Optical to RCA converter.
The other lead will stay connected to Source 7. Then the RCA leads from the converter will connect to the Audio 3 Inputs.
Or any of the other RCA red and white Inputs- and yo can then use Zone 2.
I will postback with the equipment you will need for this. So take the Optical out from the DAC, and connect it to an optical splitter (effectively splitting the optical signal with minimal loss): http://www.parts-express.com/toslink-digital-optical-audio-splitter--180-964 From that splitter you will then need two more optical cables. One will go to Source 7 as it was prior, and the other will connect to the Input of an Optical to Analog converter below: http://www.parts-express.com/fiio-d07-tv-digital-analog-converter--230-134 You will then use the RCA audio outs on the converter to interface the NAD receiver, so that it has an analog network with which to playback audio to the Audio 3 and/or Zone 2 outputs. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Do you need further assistance with this?
well here's the thing
I am on a sailboat and getting extra cables across the main salon is not easy
and this used to work as it is wired. but some tech took it on himself to reconfigure my system and and
now I have this problem.
I would think that I would not have to resort to Zone 2 stuff.
Are you saying that there is no way that the NAD can take an optical digital in and offer an analog out on some port
I think the Receiver has another output from the Pre amp before it enter amp. Usually a recording out should work and especially since one can't always have a digital recorder. In fact since this Audio 3 is designed from taking the output to a recorder and since it is an analog out it should be able to take whatever is playing on the system and output analog.
oh and one other think
this user to work before this kind tinkered so I am quite sure that this is a setup issue on the On screen setups.
Sorry, I'm just not seeing it in the NAD manual. I will opt out, perhaps someone else has an idea.
4 AUDIO 3 IN/OUT
• Connect AUDIO 3 OUT to the corresponding analog audio input
of a recording component such as a cassette deck, CD recorder or to an outboard audio/video
processor. Connect AUDIO 3 IN to the component’s corresponding analog audio output connectors.
• The signal present at the AUDIO 3 OUT is determined by the source last selected via the front
panel Source keys or the AVR 4’s input select keys with the exception of Source 3 or Source 4. If
the default settings are maintained for both Source 3 and Source 4 (analog audio input is AUDIO 3)
and both their respective digital audio input is set to “Off”, there will be no output at AUDIO 3
OUT when Source 3 or Source 4 is selected. This prevents feedback through the recording component
thereby preventing possible damage to your speakers.
This quote above from the manual leads me to believe that Audio 3 out can output whatever the NAD is 'playing'
In this case I am asking that the NAD play something that is arriving as an optical digital source and I want to put up
an analog out from Audio 3 out and run to my other AUX IN terminal on my secondary system. Should work but something is not set right.
I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142
I will wait and see if someone else might be able to figure this out.