Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Need a person to assist with Sherwood RX4109 Receiver

Customer Question

Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What specific problem are you having with the receiver?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had this issue before and have been able to fix the problem but cannot remember how I did it. This is a new Sherwood RX 4109 Receiver. When I power it on, either from panel or remote, after about 30 seconds it goes into the stand by mode and I am not abke to get the unit to stay powered up.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
The shut down is a protection circuit kicking in to protect the receiver from damage. This could be caused by a short in one of the speakers or components, thermal fault, or an internal defect in the amp itself.You can try a few fixes yourself. To begin, power the receiver off, and disconnect all speakers and components. Try to turn it back on in Tuner (am/fm) mode and see if it will stay on. If it does, power off and reconnect 1 speaker, then power on to test again. Continue this process until you isolate the speaker or component causing the problem, or until everything operates normally.If this doesn’t change anything, let me know and I'll advise further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I will do what you suggest. Is there a way to reconnect with you if I need to on this?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, just bookmark/favorite this page to get back with me if needed.Hopefully you just have a loose/stray speaker wire contacting the metal chassis, that is the most common cause of this. If that all checks out though then we are looking at a deeper issue. Best regards,Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did what you suggested and the unit continues to go into standby mode.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
So even with no speakers connected (plugged into power only) it still goes to standby?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Disconnected power supply, speaker connections and reconnected power supply. Turned unit on, initially displayed FM station with number and "direct" following the display. After about 15 seconds or do display clicked off and stand by light at on/off switch came on.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
What kind of volume level is it set at? How big are the speakers you're using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am unable to tell you the volume as I cannot access that display. The speakers are outdoor rock speakers that have worked fine with this unit in the past when I experienced this problem before but for the life of me cannot remember what I did.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You can try a reset, by unplugging power to the sherwood at the wall outlet for a minute.Beyond that, there really is no other reset process. If you're using outdoor speakers, you may have an external speaker selector switch that needs to be adjusted - also check the a/b buttons on the sherwood to make sure they are on/off correctly as needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have an external speaker volume control set mid range, and have verified the a/b speakers. I have not connected the b side indoor speakers. I am going to call it a night and pick this up another day. I will leave the unit unplugged overnight to see if that has any impact on the issue. Thanks for your help tonight.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.It may be worth swapping the connections over to the B channel rather than A and see if it performs any better that way.Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's worth a try. I will connect with you when I pick this back up. Thanks!
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome, and good luck. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan