Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Have a Sony GX909 909 ES receiver, that the protector is flashing,

Customer Question

Have a Sony GX909 909 ES receiver, that the protector is flashing, check for a short circuit an there is no short circuit
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. How long have you owned the receiver for and when did the problem occur?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Also, the only user fix for the protector indicator blinking, is to unplug the receiver from power- then disconnect ALL speaker wires from the unit itself (not just the speakers- but the wires themselves), then plug the receiver back into power and turn it on. If the protector message is gone, and the unit powers up normally- then one of the speakers or speaker wires indeed does have a short that was causing the issue. In that case you would need to test the DCR of the speakers and ensure none are significantly below 4-6 ohms. If the receiver still shows protector with no speaker wires at all connected- then this is a hardware failure- more specifically with the output transistors that drive the speakers, and the receiver will require service- which is on average a $275 repair on this model, and a shop can be located at the link below: www.stereorepair.com If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did not work, Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I understand, and all we can do is tell you what you can TRY on a user level to fix it. A hardware issue requires repairs, and isn't something we can fix from this end. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.