Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have a Sony STR-K840P receiver. I am using a Pioneer DVD/SACD/DVD-Au

Customer Question
dio player and they are...
I have a Sony STR-K840P receiver. I am using a Pioneer DVD/SACD/DVD-Au dio player and they are connected via 6 channel analog RCA leads.When listening to DVD-A or SACD disks I push the "multi ch" button and don't get any sound through both centre speaker and subwoofer. Iget full surround sound when playing DVD's
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
6/25/2015
Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. The 'multi-ch' button you are invoking the function of, if it is on the Pioneer player and if the Sony STR-model receiver is part of the setup and if the Sony receiver is what is driving the speakers, might be something the Sony speaker is filtering out or removing. If you get sound from the centre speaker and subwoofer in other modes, then the speakers and the device driving them are obviously in good shape. If what I have presumed is the case, it's also worth mentioning that using a different means of connection (or simply: a different cable) could make the difference, with regard to the 'multi ch' mode on the player. So please let me know what ports the RCA leads come from, and where they go, and all details as regards ***** ***** from the Pioneer player, and I will advise you further.
The "multi ch" button is on the receiver. Firstly the player is a Pioneer DV-686A. The RCA leads are from the Audio 5.1 channel section of the player which is consists of 6 RCA inputs for each channel right, left, surround right, surround left, centre and subwoofer. These go to a set of 6 RCA inputs on the back of the receiver that are marked as the player. I have tried disconnecting the cables and changing the order to see if that changes which 2 speakers inaudible but that didn't change that no sound came from the centre speaker and subwoofer. Of note the Sony receiver is 2nd hand but it is the second one I have had and the first one had the same problem, I got rid of that because of a different problem. Both the player and the receiver have no HDMI connections. Only the 6 RCA connections which I thought were specifically for SACD and DVD-Audio especially for surround sound music.
Both units have coaxial and optical connections for Dolby Digital and DTS as well.
Do you get sound from the centre speaker and subwoofer in other modes? I just need (from here) to be absolutely sure you don't have bad speakers or bad wiring/cables to them.
If your Yamaha device is in Pure Direct mode, it is possible that the subwoofer output will be nil/nothing, or disabled, in Pure Direct mode. This varies with Yamaha deice modes and settings, but it can happen that way.
If you have Pure Direct mode enabled, you may not get the LFE signal needed for the subwoofer to be activated from certain sources, such as games and stereo music. Movies usually include an LFE channel signal, and will activate the subwoofer.
So in other words, in Pure Direct mode on Yamaha audio equipment, you may not get subwoofer sound from some sources.
Yes I get sound form the centre speaker and subwoofer in all other modes. My receiver is a Sony not a Yamaha.
Well, I'm glad to hear that the centre speaker and subwoofer work for sure. But, I feel that I got sidetracked from the details of your case, and must apologize for the error.I think the problem is most likely in an obscure set of settings, which I am not experienced with. The data I found on Yamaha receivers seems to indicate that. Do you have manual or user's guide for the receiver, or for the player? whichever one of the two, the Multi Ch button is on.
Yes I have a manual for the receiver but it just a pdf I downloaded.
So the receiver, not the player, is where the Multi Ch button is, and it is a Sony. Thanks for clarifying that point. (Is the PDF manual readable for you? if not, free PDF reader software such as FoxIt for Windows will help you read it.) I suggest that you might try a factory reset of the Sony receiver, as follows: - Turn off the receiver- Hold down DISPLAY and PANEL UP/DOWN buttons and press power.- All Clear should appear on the screen. See if that helps with the subwoofer-centre-speaker problem. (Note: it will erase all settings on the receiver. If you would rather not do so, do not try the reset, of course.)
I tried doing a reset and after I was able to adjust some settings via the menu. I found all the levels for the centre, subwoofer and surround speakers each respectively set to 0. I changed them all to 6 but still got no sound from the centre speaker and sub woofer after going out of the settings menu. I went back to settings but still found the changes I had made were retained.
I'm sorry to say that at this point I have run out of conclusions, other than that a defective component is in the system somewhere. One last thing to try, is turning it Off (with the levels set to 6) and leave it for several hours, then try it again. I suspect you have already tried this.I can Opt Out, and open the case to other Experts, or I could direct you to Sony servicing shops or addresses that might help you with this problem. If you would like either one, let me know your local zip code or town/city and state, please. Thanks.
Russell H., Service Tech