Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

Got a new Cable box from Comcast and can't hook up home th

Customer Question
eater...
Got a new Cable box from Comcast and can't hook up home th eater
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2015
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Aric, Engineer
Hello, In order to help, I need more info:
1) What's the model of the Denon?
2) How was the old box connected to it?
3) How is the new box connected?
Denon AVR - 590
Brand new X1
HDMI to Sony Bravia
How about, how was the old one connected?
I can't remember
Okay no problem. I was just checking your Denon and it does not have HDMI, so I understand the issue. Can you please check the back of your cable box and let me know if it has a jack labeled "Optical", or "Digital Audio Out"?
What do you usually suggest for a hookup of the three devices?
It does have 2 HDMI ports
Please read the above post- as that is where I'm heading.
The HDMI ports aren't what we need right now. Please get me the Make and Model Number off of the front of your Cable Box (for example: Explorer 8300HD, etc.).
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from yo. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Please just reply back to the Info Requests so we can sort this. Thank you.
Please get me the Make and Model Number off of the front of your Cable Box (for example: Explorer 8300HD, etc.).
arris mx011anm
Look on the back of the box for a jack labeled "Optical". Let me know if you find it.
Optical for sound?
Yes Optical is for sound. Do you see this jack on the back of the box- yes, or no please?
No
East, usb
Esat, sorry
Sorry- I have to keep running downstairs to answer you
Okay, you're not going to be able to connect this box to your Denon- since it doesn't have any audio out jacks. What you need to do is run an Optical cable from the back of the TV to the Denon's Optical 1 jack, then go into the TV's MENU and shut off the internal speakers. This is how the sound will transmit to the receiver. The cable you will need to purchase for this is available at Radio Shack, Best Buy or at the link below: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=6270&catargetid=320013720000066114&cadevice=c&kpid=106270&gclid=CjwKEAjwwZmsBRDOh7C6rKO8zkcSJABCusnbOLt4wUm1e4etU5lqTkOzEtWBi2OcSGp7SQAv4li0HhoCPbfw_wcB
So, in this setup- the sound runs THROUGH the TV- and then out to the Denon via the Optical cable- giving you the sound from the cable box via the Denon's connected speakers. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Internal speakers are already shut off. If it wored before with HDMI, why not now? I'm confused
Worked
I don't know- you told me you didn't know how the old box was hooked up. That's why I asked you that.
I thought you meant to devices. I don't remember which one but it was hooked up via HDMI
I know it came out from Denon but can't remember where it went
Your Denon needs an optical cable to the TV to get sound- that's how it works. Since I don't know details about how this was connected previously, I will opt out.
Thank you but I told you HDMI connection
You're welcome, but your Denon doesn't playback sound from HDMI connections, and I told you what needs to be done.
So, your other cable box had another connection to the receiver that you're missing- which would be the optical and since your new box has no audio connections, you need to run that optical from the TV to the Denon. That is how you will get sound.
Once you have the optical audio running from the TV to the Denon, if there's still no sound, then simply reboot the cable box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in.
Aric, Engineer