Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I use a Bose Home Theater system in my house and it has a zone-2

Customer Question

I use a Bose Home Theater system in my house and it has a zone-2 for audio output which I run to a Russound DPA 1.2 amp. which then runs two small outside house speakers. It works great. I tried hooking up two additional speakers (same type of outdoor speakers) by using the 2nd output port on the Russound unit. It worked for about a minute, then it started to sound bad, then the Russound unit shut off. From the 2nd port, I ran 16 gauge braided wire to the speakers (16-4) under ground in a schedule 40 pipe. The distance is about 120'.
Did I use the right wire? Is the distance too far? Can the Russound amp run output from both output ports at the same time?
Please help me figure out what is wrong. Thanks.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. There are a lot of variables here. Your speaker wire may be part of the problem though, that is a pretty long run for this amp. You could also have a short in the cable somewhere. As a starting point can you disconnect the original set of speakers and see if the new longer run will still work on the 2nd output? Then, swap them, put the new set on output 1 and move the original set to output 2. How does that work?What about the original set alone but on output too?