Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a denon AVR 689. I just had a technician here looking

Customer Question

I have a denon AVR 689. I just had a technician here looking at something with the TV input. I have HDMI from input to TV then to the Denon. He suggested going to the Denon first then the TV. We could not get this to work. He thought we might need to reset something on the Denon. We had chosen the correct HDMI port on the TV we believe.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Can you please tell me how far from the Denton the TV is (how long of an HDMI cable is being used)?
Also, how long have you owned the Denon for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had it a few years. the cable TV is right above the unit so maybe a meter.How can I be billed for this? I have no answer yet?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what you're asking regarding billing- I don't have anything to do with that. You paid the site a deposit to post the question.
If you want help with the Denon, let me know otherwise- billing issues are handled through customer service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well do you have a solution?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Troubleshooting is the pursuit of a solution. There's not a "one shot fix".
First, have you reset the processor of the Denon yet?
Secondly, what is connected to the Denon for sources (cable box, DVD, etc.)?
Third, are you able to see the Denon's OSD (on screen display) on the TV?
Fourth, have you tried another HDMI cable between the Denon and the TV?
Also, what is the model number off of the back of the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know how to reset the processor. The cable box is coming in to the TV then to the denon so I see nothing on the screen from the denon. I'm told this model of denon does not do HDMI to it and then audio out so we go the other way. Sny KDL 46E
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
First reset the processor of the Denon to clear any previously entered settings.
Shut the power off (put it into standby), then press and hold the "Input Mode" and "Speakers" buttons on the front of the receiver while pressing power once.
When the display of the receiver starts blinking- release the Input Mode and Speakers buttons.
The Cable Box is connected to the Denon also with HDMI correct? The Denon will only pass signals that match the Input. So if HDMI Out, requires HDMI In.
If the processor has been reset, and the cable box is connected using HDMI- and there is STILL no picture- then you will need to try another HDMI cable. HDMI is digital and very sensitive to what processor is driving what cable. So, in the field, more than one cable should ALWAYS be tried when there is no signal passing through a home theater receiver.
Additionally, neither the TV, nor the Denon support HDMI audio return, so the easiest setup for your system would be as follows:
Cable Box HDMI out to TV.
Then additionally, Cable Box or TV Optical Out to Denon's OPT 1 Input for sound.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think some of what you said is true. We have HDMI to the TV from the cable box. We then go from the TV with HDMI to the denon for audio. That works just fine and the problem I'm having is that I don't get surround sound forget the picture from the Denon. I get the picture from the cable and the sound out of the denon. My first question was why sometimes I get surround and sometimes not. I have another system downstairs and I get surround sound all the time. Not denon. Bose
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
There are too many variables to explain why the Denon works "sometimes", and additionally what you're saying now is completely different than the question you posted initially.
I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well your suggestion has made it worse. I have three speakers on the cabinet. The center is working the left right not. Not sure if the woofer is working now after the "reset"
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You asked about a "RESET", and those steps are pulled DIRECTLY form your Denon's manual- see for yourself on page 48:
http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/AVR-689-OM-E_209A.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok but it made it worse from a speaker perspective. now what do I do
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I have Opted Out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page.