Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an Onkyo NR-626 receiver and my house was struck by

Customer Question

I have an Onkyo NR-626 receiver and
my house was struck by lightning.
The reciever is in power protection mode and I can't get it to power up.Can I reset the unit somehow?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info. Can you please tell me how old the receiver is? Also, if you press power on the unit, is there a click sound, or any other response? Were any other devices affected when the lightning strike occurred (cable box, modem, etc.)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The unit is new and it comes on for about 2 seconds and switches off.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, this is not good news. I'm looking for a reset for this.
Were any other devices affected when the lightning strike occurred (cable box, modem, etc.)?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
There is on reset procedure per Onkyo for this unit, and it is as follows: To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn iton and, while holding down CBL/SAT, press8ON/STANDBY. “Clear” will appear on the AVreceiver’s display and the AV receiver will enterstandby mode. If this doesn't work the first time, then unplug the receiver from power, and remove any connections to the unit (HDMI, speaker, etc.) then try the reset again. This is the only possible user correction for this, and beyond these steps, unfortunately the unit will require repairs. Since the unit is brand new, I would suggest first contacting the retailer to see about an exchange, and next contacting Onkyo directly for warranty service. http://www.onkyousa.com/Info/warranty.php?source=globalnav If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.