Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have two iPod classics that will not put out any audio on

Customer Question
my bose speaker. I have...
I have two iPod classics that will not put out any audio on my bose speaker. I have 3 iPod classics and 2 bose speakers. One iPod is working fine on both speakers but the other two are not working on either??? Weirdest thing, not sure what to do. I have reset both iPods???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
5/23/2015
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Aric, Engineer
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info.
What's the model of the Bose speakers?
What method are you trying to connect the Ipods to the Bose (Aux cable, Bluetooth, etc.)?
How long have you owned the Bose for and when did the problem occur?
Are all three Ipod Classics the exact same model?

I have a sound dock series 2 that I just bought last year and a sound dock portable that is about 9 years old. I have 2 30GB iPods, one is working on both speakers and the other one is not working on either. I have a 160 GB iPod classic that I got last year that is not working on either speaker also. I connect the iPod directly to the speakers on the connector. This just started last week. Before that they were all working fine.

Have you tried unplugging the Bose from power, and then cleaning the ipod connector on it using a bit of rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip? Sometimes dirty contacts can cause intermittent connections from the Ipods. Also unplugging and plugging back in is a soft reboot of the Bose processor. If you'd tried that and it doesn't work, then are the two ipods that don't connect to the Bose able to connect to other devices using the Apple cable?

Yes, it is connecting to other things like my MAC fine. I will try cleaning the charging ports with qtip and alcohol. I think it is just odd that one iPod works fine on both speakers and 2 iPods do not. Ironic.

Yes it is bizarre, since it's worked with them in the past. I'm just trying to rule out anything that could be causing this. I know sometimes dirty connectors could be at fault. Also, a a quick test have yo tried using an 1/8" stereo headphone cable to see if all three Ipods connect to the Bose in this manner? Additionally, how long have you owned the Bose systems for?

No I have not tried that that. I know the speakers both work because the other 30 GB iPod is still playing on both. One speaker is not ever 1 yr old and the other is 9 years old. Always worked fine

I understand, in order to troubleshoot we need to try these things as there's not a push-button fix for the problem. In the case of the one that's not even a year old, I would suggest contacting Bose since it's still under warranty and they will take care of the problem for free. Regarding the 9 year old one, it's beyond the point where they will repair it, but may offer to ugrade you at a reduced cost in exchange for your old one. BOSE:For assistance with your product, please call us toll-free at 1-***-***-****. For help with our aviation headsets, call 1-***-***-****.For the best possible service, please have your product nearby when you call. Hours of operation: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 8 PM ET If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

But both Bose speakers are working fine on the other iPod. I doesn't recognize the other 2, won't even charge them. Not recognizing them at all.

But they're not working with the two other Ipods and you stated those two ipods are working fine with your Mac. So if you are 100% certain the Bose USED to work with these two ipods- then the problem is with the Bose.
Again, strange problem but there's not a push-button fix. So I would suggest cleaning the connectors on the Bose and also unplugging for a soft reset. Beyond that, there is a hardware issue with the pin outs of the Bose connectors causing it to not work with these other two Ipods.

So really there is nothing that I can do.

Besides what I stated above.
Which are things you can do. Cleaning, power cycling and sending back for Bose to replace under warranty are all viable solutions .

But the Bose speakers are working fine. It has to be the 2 iPods. What is power cycling? I find it hard to believe that 2 speakers have issues when I use the other iPod in them both and it works just fine.

I don't think it is the speakers. I am trying to figure out what could be going on with the iPods.

If it's the two Ipods, then are you sure they're working on the Mac? Power cycling is disconnecting the Bose from power and plugging it back in. If you don't think it's the two speakers, then please test the two offending Ipods again using another device. Also try the headphone cable as I stated above. All of the things mentioned here need to be tried which is why I am suggesting them to troubleshoot- but it's up to you to perform the testing to get the results which lead to the conclusion.

Now my MAC is not recognizing the 160 GB iPod. The headphones are working fine.

Okay so we've ruled the 160 G is not working on the Bose or the Mac- which points to the Ipod. Try the other one.

the other iPod that is not working on the speakers is responding to the MAC, just no sound on the speakers. the 160 GB not charging, no response on MAC and no recognition on speaker.

Sorry, the symptoms are not lining up with any one device as being the cause of the issue. I will have to opt out and open the question to other experts.

So what do I do now?

You can either wait for someone else to reply- log off (you will be notified via e-mail), or check back later.
You can also contact customer service from the home page and request a refund.
The terms of service can be found on the site and can answer any other questions you may have regarding how the site works.
Aric, Engineer