Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I just bought a VIZIO S5451w-C2 5.1 sound system, how do I

Customer Question

I just bought a VIZIO S5451w-C2 5.1 sound system, how do I connect it to a pioneer vsx-822?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand, these devices are not compatible with each other and are designed to be used exclusively.
You see, the Vizio is a complete surround system designed to connect directly to a TV, or other line level source.
The Pioneer receiver is a complete surround system that is designed to connect to "passive" speakers- not another sound system, or active speaker system like the Vizio.
Having both of these components is redundant, as they are mutually exclusive. So, if you just purchased the Vizio, your best option is to return it and purchase a passive speaker system with powered subwoofer whichis what the Pioneer is designed to connect to.
If you need recommendations, or further assistance let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I buy and avr that will be compatible with the Visio Soundbar?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
No, that's the issue- the Vizio is designed to be used by itself and connect directly to a TV or source- such as a cable box, or DVD player.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
AVR's feature line level Inputs and speaker level outputs.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
The Vizio only handles line level "Inputs"- which an AVR doesn't provide.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Are you planning on running any other speakers besides the Vizio?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wasn't planning on getting more speakers, but I have all of my components connected to the pioneer.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Then you can simply omit the Pioneer AVR, and run all HDMI source to the TV, then send a single optical cable back to the Vizio soundbar to produce all of the sound form the TV. Or, if you really want to use the switching from the AVR, then run all HDMI sources to the TV, then one more HDMI cable to the TV (this sends all picture and sound to the TV), then run the single optical cable from the TV back to the Vizio to play. This is somewhat redundant, since you're not using the AVR's built in amplifiers in any way- but it will allow you to switch all source through the AVR and then have the sound come from the Vizio soundbat. If you need further assistance let me know. NOTE: Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Or, if you want to use the AVR to it's fullest potential (since it has much more robust amplifiers than the Vizio- and cannot in any way power the Vizio), then you would want to purchase passive speakers to connect to the AVR (which is what I would recommend, or do- if it were me) .
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Since you like the form factor of the soundbar- there are also passive soundbars that connect to the Front Left,Center and Right speaker outputs of the Pioneer and include a powered subwoofer for around the same cost as the Vizio. One example would be at the link below: http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-bar-and-10-subwoofer-bundle--300-637 This would allow the Pioneer's built in amplifiers to be utilized- which are about 4 times more powerful than the Vizio's built in amps. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Did you need further assistance with this?