Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Rusty. I have a brand new Yamaha receiver RX-V377 which

Customer Question
Hi, Rusty. I have a...
Hi, Rusty. I have a brand new Yamaha receiver RX-V377 which arrived DOA. The online vendor issued a full refund and told me to keep it. I did some research online and found out about the protection circuitry. I tried the directions to reset it for another model, pressing the buttons "info" and "tone control" but there is no main zone as the directions for the other model indicates. so I took my chances and pressed power with the two other butons and heard 2 clicks. I could repeat that several times, holding and releasing buttons in several combinations but all I get is these 2 clicks. I understand this reset combination is a well kept secret. I dont see any online chat with a Yamah rep, I am in the middle of nowhere, closest service center 80 miles away...
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
5/20/2015
Technician: Rusty, Engineer replied 3 years ago
Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Hi, thanks for requesting me. The trick to reboot the unit is to hold the power button for 10 or more seconds. Are you getting any lights at all? The clicks mean the unit is trying to power up. Unplug the unit, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in. Try the FM tuner to see if you can get any sound (be sure the antenna is connected and that it is not scanning channels). Tell me the results.
Tried it. No power, no lights. No clicks. Tried several times.
Ok, that is a complete power failure, and I think they may have sent it with faulty fuses. Are you familiar with electronics enough to unplug it and take off the cover?
yes
but when pressing power, info and tone control at the same time (all 3 buttons) there are two clicks, but no lights
That is a relay being switched... It means it's getting power, but you're not getting power anywhere else. I need you to open it and look for a fuse near the power supply. Test the voltage at the power supply, and locate where it's being blocked. Usually the sound will go out before the lights go out. Since you have no lights, it's a complete power fail.
I opened it and saw that five capacitors have been leaking a white stuff, like white glue on the circuitboards. I guess there is no point to go further. the whole thing is fried...
Ouch, the leaky capacitors would do it. If you're up for a project, capacitors are fairly cheap from Mouser.com. You can get the values from the side of the caps, and order an exact match if you're up for it.
I have no time for that, plus the leaks from the capacitors are pretty extensive, some other components are covered with that stuff. Oh well. Thank you for your help anyway.
Technician: Joe, Technician replied 3 years ago
Joe
Joe, Technician
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
As you have already concluded there is extensive damage to this unit that is not worth the cost of repair, I myself would not spend any time or money into this unit based on your findings, instead know that you can purchase this model brand new on places such as amazon for around $180.00, the good thing is that you did get the refund and also think of it this way, you now have an extra remote and mic as well as parts for the other if you purchase another one.
The stuff does not usually hurt other components but it can and in this case the way and what the caps caused is not something worth while, a repair like that most would just replace the board instead but at that cost remembering the entire unit is only $180 ish new vs what the board alone would run.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.