Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have a speaker system. Altec Lansing ACS 31. I moved and

Customer Question
I have a speaker system...
I have a speaker system. Altec Lansing ACS 31. I moved and it was disconnected, wires and all. Now I want to reconnect it but don't have a wiring diagram. I have tried to 'wing it' but I am coming up short. Any suggestions? The Altec Lansing site is no help at all.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
5/18/2015
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, is there an ON power indicator at 1 of the satellite speakers? And to what device is the ACS 31 being connected to please?
There are five connectors on the back of the speaker that has the power switch. Connector 1 is power, 2 is connected to the Sub woofer with the power cord, 3 is to the other speaker, 4 is empty, 5 is to the PC.
A review / please re-check...At the back of the satellite speaker with controls: • leftmost would be to the AC power adapter;• next would connect to the big subwoofer;• then the middle would be to the other satellite speaker;• and lastly, either 1-INPUT or INPUT-2 to the green jack of the laptop/computer or even to a headphone jack of an MP3 player or cellphone.Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
That is what I have. The subwoofer is not playing nor is the left speaker (Not the on off switch speaker).
I take that back. The subwoofer is working if I turn up the separate volume on it. THe Non control small speaker is not working.
I checked all connections and they are tight.
I understand. Can you try wiggling the 3.5mm plug of the non-control satellite speaker? And do you have access to a multi-meter?
No multimeter. Would that tell me a signal is coming through the wire? I wiggled both the 3.5 MM plug on the speaker and the output on the PC. NO luck.
Yes, that would test the non-control satellite speaker. How about a single 1.4 AA or AAA battery and 2 short lengths of electrical wire?
Hi again,
Any update(s)?
The battery would serve as a test for the non-control satellite speaker. Using short lengths of wires momentarily touch the 3.5mm plug pins to the battery terminals. If speaker is good, then there would be a clicking sound.
Louie, Technician