Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Use arc on pioneer vsx-80 receiver

Customer Question

use arc for sound on pioneer vsx-80 receiver
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It actually seems that I am getting no sound at all from the receiver, not sure why
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. What is the full model number of the tv?
What other sources are you using (cable/sat, dvd, game, etc)?
Can you get audio from the tuner (fm radio) mode on the pioneer at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the model of the TV is as follows: http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-50w700b
I can hear the external inputs just fine, as well as the tuner. I am just not getting sound through the ARC setting from the TV to receiver. The HDMI is plugged in from the HDMI-OUT 1 from the tuner to the HDMI input port on the TV which has the ARC label on it. I have set the ARC settings on the tuner as well as the TV, but no dice.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
What about the cord, is it a new hdmi cable? It must be a 1.4 rated hdmi cable for ARC to work, the older cables don't have the audio return channel capability. What audio are you trying to get from the tv? Aerial? Apps?Did you go into the sony settings and make sure that the internal tv speakers are disabled (set to external/theater)?Do you have the pioneer set to the TV input mode?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, the internal speakers are disabled and the pioneer is set to TV input mode. Trying to get sound from the Apps, netflix, etc. I need to try a newer cable. Unfortunately I am out of town until Friday so my test will have to wait.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, the alternative is to run a separate optical cable from the tvs digital audio out port back to the pioneer. I actually prefer to use optical over arc - they are equivalent in audio quality, but the optical doesn't require any special settings or configuration, and will always "just work", whereas hdmi often has communication and configuration problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try a new hdmi cable if that does not work then I will try the optical.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** know how it works out, when you have a chance.Nathan