Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

. I have a Nuvo Concerto. I'm getting Net Error 1 which

Customer Question
Hello. I have a...
Hello. I have a Nuvo Concerto. I'm getting Net Error 1 which means my MCU is fried. I sent it in to Nuvo to have this repaired and after receiving the Nuvo back I plugged in the system and immediately got the Net Error 1 again. So I would like to:
1. Debug the cause of the problem causing the MCU to go bad.
2. Perhaps buy an MCU and have it shipped to me.
Are these two items (1 & 2 above) possible.
Pat in Atlanta
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
2/15/2015
Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 3 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Pat, has this work previously? The reason I ask is that if you have a different model other than the classic, the connected pads may not work with it and that would give you the same error. If you are certain that they are compatible, the MCU is a an easy to replace board , and you can get them directly from the manufacturer. Sometimes they are in short supply age may have to wait a little while, but they will sell it to you. the only thing you can do to find out what is causing it to go bad is to plug in one external device at a time. It would be these external devices that are causing the problem. But keep in mind that the error does not necessarily mean that the MCU is bad although that is usually the case.
Hello Mike. Thank you for the response. Yes the Concerto worked for 5 years before it failed for the first time. I called the Nuvo guys with the Net Error 1 message on the keypad. They had me send in the unit and they replaced the MCU. But when I got it back and plugged in everything I had the Net Error 1 again. So I just put the Concerto in a box because I was too busy at that moment. Now I would like to debug.
Now the status is that when I plug in the Concerto to only the power supply and to nothing else, the front power light does not alight. I took the cover off the unit and used an electric meter to see that 120V is traveling into the unit, and as it passes the circuit board with the power button attached it steps down to 24V at least on the lines I tested. So 24V is getting passed the power board to the subsequent board in the sequence. But the Power On is not lit on the front of the Concerto.
Once I plug in the Cat 5 board to the external keypads then the keypads all show Net Error 1.
I think I understand from you Mike, that I should contact Nuvo, order a new MCU board and then subsequent to its installation, sequentially plug in one external keypad at a time check the status and then remove that one and move on to the next, then do the same of the external equipment.
Will I blow the MCU again once I plug in the piece that causes the problem?
Thank you for your help Mike,
Pat
Yes! You understood exactly what I was saying. That's pretty impressive because I did not explain it well. Unfortunately, yes – this does mean sacrificing another MCU board, unless you get lucky and are left with the bad one for last. You could also send them in with the main unit and have them do something similar (make it their problem) , but I would imagine they are charging you a handsome fee for their labor. I really don't know how much the board costs but I do not think it's expensive. I know the suggestion of doing this seems a little silly. But I don't know of another way to be certain about which device is causing the problem. The instrument itself is not cheap , so it's usually a good candidate for repair in terms of cost.
Mike,
Here is the response I got from Nuvo. That is not very helpful. What do you suggest?
patSince the NVI8DM has been discontinued for about 9 years now, the MCU card is no longer available as a spare part. However, the NVI8DM can still be repaired for a flat rate of $350 plus shipping. We would need your contact information, including return shipping address, to setup the repair. Let me know if you would like to proceed with this.Please respond to this email if you still require assistance or if you need to speak with a Tech Support Representative, please call (***) ***-****, M-F, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (EST).
Well the device is worth repairing unit that cost, but only if they can guarantee the repair. For example, if they will take all of the connected devices and ensure that they all work together, then you don't have the risk of blowing the MCU. so, I would say if you think it's worth the cost to you, it is not in unwise decision if that's what concerns you. However, if you've considered upgrading, this may be the time to look at a different system. with the price of the repair, if they are going to guarantee that the whole thing will work , then I don't think you could make a wrong decision – either way.
If it were $100 I would say definitely go for it, if it were $800 I would say definitely not. How's that for helpful?
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer