Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have a JBL Venue Sub 10 that just stopped working today.

Customer Question
Hello, I have a JBL...
Hello, I have a JBL Venue Sub 10 that just stopped working today. When I turn it on there is a loud intermittent screeching or squelching/ beeping type of noise. No other sound. It does this whether I have the receiver turned on or not. Last night I watched a movie and it worked good, today it beeps. What would cause this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
4/29/2012
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 5 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the described symptom (plus "...does this whether I have the receiver turned on or not...) almost always indicate an internal hardware issue or more particularly a faulty amplifier circuitry.
Still, there is a possible fix; though not quick-n-easy and neither is there a workaround. The unit would have to be opened up for visual inspection, voltage measurements, confirm fault and effect repairs.

Offhand and after a review of the repair/Service Manual, primary checks on likely suspects would be:
  • failed regulator including Qs501 & 502(least likely);
  • any of the OP-AMP ICs (likely);
  • output transistors Qs10 & 11 (most likely).

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? Are you familiar with electronic components, have access to / comfortable in the use of a multimeter and perhaps even a soldering iron/hot-air station?

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should you need additional information.

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Louie, Technician
Louie, Technician