Home Security Systems

Home security system repair questions? Ask a technician.

After shutting down the Plex H.264 DVR in an attempt to

Customer Question
reset the password, the system...
After shutting down the Plex H.264 DVR in an attempt to reset the password, the system no longer boots up and the monitor shows no signal.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Security Systems
9/30/2017
Electronics Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 10 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

The system fan does turn on and I can hear the hard drive working. The system does not reboot and there is just no signal going to the monitor

Try disconnecting the power for 30 minutes, then try turning the system on again.

Let me know if that works?

It did not work

In that case there may be a fault with the internal power supply circuit.

Do you have any test equipment available?

but I am unfamiliar with how to use it. I do have the case open

What type of test equipment do you have?

Are you familiar with how to check high voltages?

I received a digital multimeter as a gift a few years back and have never used it

Ok, best you don't try to carry out any testing yourself, as you could damage the unit further or even injure yourself.

I would recommend you either get appropriate training in using the multimeter first, or have someone carry out the testing for you.